Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FLARM - equipment options and how well does it work around Europe?

AFAIU the FLARM folks don’t want to be displayable by other technologies; possibly see: status of FLARM

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Apologies if I comment on Powerflarm and if this takes the topic off subject but I am a happy customer!

When I am flying through the South of England up to the Midlands I have to pass close to a number of busy glider sites. I obviously stay away from these sites but gliders don’t always stay in these areas as they are often doing cross country missions. My PowerFlarm is invaluable and gives accurate bearings of many/perhaps most (who knows) gliders. I am told that there are 1,200 gliders fitted with Flarm in the UK……..so that’s 1,200 gliders I can hopefully miss! In the last trip I picked up 2 gliders and saw them after the alert. 2-3 nm away but really useful to steer away and keep them in sight.

In Europe, I am told that Flarm is mandatory for glider competitions and I’d say flying down to the south of France with the mountains on your left, the gliders are the biggest risk. You often just can’t see them unless they are turning. I’ve yet to fly this route through France with PowerFlarm to comment properly as my installation is quite new. I’ll let you know!

A few weeks ago I did a transit through Bournemouth on a basic service. ATC were a little stressed as I could hear in on their voice. I was informed about “pop up” traffic ahead of me, I would guess it was just outside their zone but that traffic clearly was not chatting to ATC. My PowerFlarm picked them up with directional information so they were either using Flarm or alternatively pumping out ADSB – it was close enough to see it was a bit like a PA28 type of aircraft so that was two of us that day using a compatible system!

The system also flashes when there is a strong transponder signal so you can be on high alert keep your eyes peeled. It is easy to be looking inside checking T&P’s/a Plog/SkyDemon at any time so anything that bleeps when traffic is close (no matter what direction) is good as far as I am concerned.

I also fly in controlled Airspace and find that all of the N reg exec jets are using it, BA and Easyjet all show up (as they are pumping out ADSB)…….Fly Be don’t seem to have it as running older aircraft. It is interesting to see these Aircraft pop up on SkyDemon (as well as the dedicated display).

That’s my feedback – I think ADSB out is the way to go!

Thanks – Archer

Last Edited by Archer-181 at 17 Aug 20:40
United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It would be disingenuous of me to suggest otherwise when my own flying with FLARM picked up almost nothing.

Did you use basic FLARM or PowerFLARM?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Did you use basic FLARM or PowerFLARM?

Basic FLARM.

PowerFLARM adds altitude (but not distance or azimuth) warnings of Mode C targets.

I moved the FLARM posts out of the Monroy thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

PowerFLARM adds altitude (but not distance or azimuth) warnings of Mode C targets.

And mode S and ADS-B targets, which basic FLARM doesn’t AFAIU.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 18 Aug 08:48
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Towing gliders, FLARM is used. It works really well, if everybody got it, as gliders do. But as to the “commercial” bit, it’s run off track by the looks of it.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I think it still needs Mode C to get altitude… No altitude on S unless Enhanced and radiating extra parameters e.g. (GPS?) altitude. And without the altitude data, Power FLARM is virtually useless.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I think it still needs Mode C to get altitude… No altitude on S unless Enhanced and radiating extra parameters e.g. (GPS?) altitude.

Even Elementary level Mode S includes altitude

See this

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

tmo wrote:

AFAIU the FLARM folks don’t want to be displayable by other technologies; possibly see: status of FLARM

Well, they allowed incorporation of FLARM into third party products in the past (e.g. LXNAV glide computers) and IIRC they do sell a module for OEMs. I guess they’re protecting their business. And updating (which is free) is an issue – it changes more frequently than a traditional ACAS. The idea was for everyone to run a single firmware. They still could’ve released it with the stipulations that the hardware can’t be changed and their firmware must be used – as I wrote, I guess the’re protecting their business since their income is from selling new units.

Is there a low power (meaning suitable for sailplanes) ADS-B solution? I mean one that doesn’t rely on transponders being interrogated by ground based radars or other aircraft but can work on its own.

Airborne_Again wrote:

IIRC basic FLARM displays only FLARM targets, nothing more.

Even Elementary level Mode S includes altitude

I am fairly sure that is wrong, Neil. Also that link doesn’t say altitude on Mode S is mandatory.

AIUI, with say a GTX330, if you turn it on, you get Mode S always (which can be AIR or GND mode, so let’s assume AIR mode). Then you can control whether you radiate Mode A (no altitude, just the squawk) or Mode C (altitude and squawk).

So people can fly around radiating Mode S but no altitude. I recall this coming up a while ago and I am fairly sure that ATC sees no altitude for these people. Just their 24-bit code and the aircraft reg if correctly configured. OK; this way of flying is completely dumb because even the “civil liberties crowd” is visible, but it is possible to do it.

Administrator
103 Posts
Sign in to add your message