Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flexible pipe for IO540 crankcase breather

LAS Aero don’t have anything flexible; they have only heavy hoses.

Spruce don’t have anything either.

Socata cannot identify it (or won’t put in the manpower) and I cannot find the item in their IPC/MM (I have the Feb 2006 ATP CD from Ebay, shortly before the seller got busted – last edits were done in 2005).

The flexible hose fits over a 22mm diameter tube at the breather end, and fits over a 25mm tube at the engine end.

It needs to be flexible because it sees the engine vibration, including the big “shake” at startup and shutdown. I wondered about a silicone hose…

If this hose gets a hole it in (and I have had to repair ir already a few times) then you will get a loss of oil, because the area near the top of it is pressurised due to the air passing through the oil cooler, so there will be a net flow of air through the breather, continuously carrying out oil vapour.

I don’t think any TB20 burns less than about 1qt in 5hrs (I mean genuinely, not the misleading value obtained by filling to say 12 and running it down to say 7 over the service interval) and there could be a further factor to do with the breather positioning.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s a variant of the orange stuff, forgot the name of them, with the wire inside.

Why can’t you use MILDTL 6000 hose? That is what is usually specified for breathers (not for return line though, if you have one)

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/viewitems/rubber-hose-fittings/oil-and-coolant-hose?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It does look like black scat ducting. I’d prefer more durable rubber tubing as per LeSving’s link but scat ducting is available in sizes down to 1 inch. http://aeroinstock.com/scat-aircraft-ducting/

PS I notice the black variety is called CAT, with the missing S presumably meaning silicone rubber http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/cat.php

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Nov 16:52

SCEET, SCAT, CAT & CEET

The one your’e looking for appears to be CEET: Double wall black, low temp.

Sizes are .25 inch dash numbered, so 1" is -4.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
fly2000

Thank you all for the links.

The 6000 hose is too stiff. I bought some from LAS to see what it is like. IMHO, the aluminium portion of the breather pipe is not strong enough.

The orange stuff seems too thin (it’s a fabric, with some sort of internal coating) and not really impervious to liquids. It’s quite flimsy and this is why even when used for heater hoses it needs replacing every so often.

The Socata tubing seems a thicker version of the orange heater hoses.

The 25mm-22mm matching is also an issue and I doubt any existing hose will do that much stretch (except maybe straight silicone stuff). I suspect Socata buy that hose in with an adapted end. No doubt from some obscure French company, like so many Socata parts which cannot be found on google unless you search in French, presumably with a FR setting in the browser. But I can machine up a reducer for the 22mm end.

Do Flexschlauch make something like that? Clicking on the UK flag on their home page does nothing (in FF).

Looking at that black double-wall CEET, that looks most likely but will need a reducer at the 22mm end.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

for the “size adapter” 22-25 u can use a bit of Raychem DR25 heatshrink
when u cut out some of the wire of the flexi hose that will give u enought scope to use it on 22 and 25
i would anyway use on both ends of the flexihose a bit of DR25 on the outside as a “finisher” that also prevents the hose clip to “cut” into the flexihose and givesit a nice look
or u can use some http://www.heatshrink-online.co.uk/heatshrink/cat_146271-31-Coloured-AdhesiveGlue-Lined-Heatshrink.html

see picture of application in similar way

see picture of application in similar way

fly2000
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message