Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight Design C4 & Tecnam P2010 & non TSO avionics in certified aircraft

LeSving wrote:

They are both 360 and both are 180 hp, so de rated is a matter of speach

The Conti IO360 is actually rated up to 210 hp. That is the fuel injected 6 cylinder engine which is built into many Arrows,e.t.c. It is a totally different engine than than the Lycoming O360, which is a carburetted engine with 180 hp maximum.

(Edited due to mistakes on my part as pointed out by Boscomantico)

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 12 Dec 13:50
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The Conti IO360 is actually rated up to 200 hp. That is the fuel injected 6 cylinder engine which is built into many Arrows, Mooney 201,e.t.c.

Not correct. The Conti IO-360 is often rated at 210 hp (Reims Rocket is the most popular one). Also, the Mooney 201 has the Lyco IO-360, which is four-cylinder.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Dec 13:44
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Right, I did not think of the 210 hp versions as I mostly saw it in Arrows. Corrected my post.

And of course you are right with the Lyco IO-360 on the 201… as well as the E and F model. Pretty stupid mistake on my part.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

The Conti IO360 is actually rated up to 210 hp.

No, the IO360 AF is rated to 200 HP at 2800 rpm (it has 7.5:1 cr compared with 8.5:1 for the ES). Flight Design “de rate” it (the AF) to 180 by limiting rpm to 2550. In my eyes the Continental IO360 AF is a better engine than the a comparable 180 hp Lycoming 360 (same displacement, same weight, same hp). It is better because it is much smoother, 6 cylinders, and produce 180 hp at 2550 rpm instead of 2700 for a Lyc 360. I just wonder why mh think a Lycoming 360 is a better choice.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The Lycoming is about 35 lbs lighter and has two less cylinders to maintain. In addition, I believe the relative lack of moving parts and internal friction makes the Lycoming slightly more fuel efficient, but the latter point is unclear given the new fuel systems being implemented.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Dec 14:58

According to data sheets the IO360 AF is 305 lbs. A 180 HP injected Lycoming is anywhere from 290 to 308 lbs, which in my head is equal. The Lycoming has much higher piston velocity due to larger stroke, so the Lycoming having less internal friction at equal RPM is not a given.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

A 180 HP injected Lycoming is anywhere from 290 to 308 lbs, which in my head is equal.

mh was talking about O360, no injection there.

Martin wrote:

mh was talking about O360, no injection there.

So it was simply a preference for carburetor over injection? In any case, if they can keep the price right, this aircraft is “it” in my opinion.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Flyer59 wrote:

While I am really not a VW fan, the design of a GOLF is world class compared to those ugly planes. I am yet to understand why somebody would spend that much money for such an ungly airplane.

In fact, the answer is very easy.
Even if it may sound incredible to somebody, actually some of us pilots do not decide which airplane to buy based on the beautiness of the machine! :-O
Look at it this way, when you’re inside, enjoying the flight, you don’t see her.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

Coolhand wrote:

Look at it this way, when you’re inside, enjoying the flight, you don’t see her.

It’s like if I would have said it!

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message