Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight manual / AFMS updates

What are the requirements/methods for updating a flight manual when something on the aircraft changes? Some specific examples from my aircraft:

• I have manuals in French (original) and German (added at some point), and a subset of the manual (emergency procedures mainly) in English. I can read French ok, but ideally it would be good to have a complete English manual. What are the requirements regarding language and flight manuals, and how would one obtain a proper copy in another language?
  • My airplane has interior and exterior lighting, but lacked instrument lighting, which I have just added. The French and German manuals say only that the aircraft may be equipped for night, while the abbreviated English version says “Day VFR only” (pretty sure this is not an official manual). Obviously it would be good (required even?) for the manual to be up to date, but how do I go about this?
  • I just added a 530W and have a PDF copy of the PBN supplement, which contains a reference to the full manual for the 530W. I presume I need to have access to both of these in the aircraft. Is it sufficient to have electronic copies on my iPad, or do I need to print out all 150 or so pages?

Thanks for your help!

EHRD, Netherlands

You fly a TB10, yes?

An English POH can be found on the web with a search, e.g. here.

EGLM & EGTN

If there are modifications to the airplane (avionics) which are accompanied by a flight manual supplement, it must be appended to the flight manual as is.

If you make a change to the plane which results in a change, (or your desire for a change) to the flight manual, that change to the plane, and the [now necessary] flight manual require approval. If your airplane was provided with a flight manual (or POH) at manufacture, it is required that you refer to it for flight. There are other non approved “similar” documents around, they are not authoritative, unless approved.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

I guess it depends on whether you want the ‘right’ manual simply because you want everything to be approved and perfectly in order, or whether you just want a manual in order to actually refer to it for a piece of information that might be useful to you!

I find it hard to believe that any individual of average intelligence actually needs a ‘GNS530W as fitted to Socata TB10’ manual in order to operate such a combination, but I appreciate that is not the legal position.

As I may have alluded to previously we have some new avionics in our TB10 and I neither know (nor really care) whether a POH supplement is present – but I bet it is. The avionics manuals and a quick play are good enough for me.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

I find it hard to believe that any individual of average intelligence actually needs a ‘GNS530W as fitted to Socata TB10’ manual in order to operate such a combination, but I appreciate that is not the legal position.

It’s not simply ‘GNS530W as fitted to Socata TB10’ but rather ‘GNS530W as fitted to Socata TB10 S/N XXXX’. In particular, it specifies which functions of the installed unit are implemented on this airframe and which aren’t, along with other limitations and peculiarities. If you bought the plane with the unit already installed, this supplement might come unexpectedly useful.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 25 Jun 19:28
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Is a AFMS (eg for an STC‘d GNS530) legally required?

always learning
LO__, Austria

One of the arguments in favour of “yes”:

CS 23.2620 Aeroplane Flight Manual
The applicant must provide an aeroplane flight manual that must be delivered with each aeroplane and contains the following information:
(a) operating limitations and procedures;
(b) performance information;
(c) loading information;
(d) instrument marking and placard information; and
(e) any other information necessary for the safe operation of the aeroplane.

Since the installation of a GNS530 would affect at least the item (a), it should be reflected in the manual by issuing a supplement.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Snoopy wrote:

Is a AFMS (eg for an STC‘d GNS530) legally required?

For an FAA STC, I would expect that the STC includes an FAA approved AFMS. Section 2, Limitations is regulatory.

KUZA, United States

dutch_flyer wrote:

I just added a 530W and have a PDF copy of the PBN supplement, which contains a reference to the full manual for the 530W. I presume I need to have access to both of these in the aircraft. Is it sufficient to have electronic copies on my iPad, or do I need to print out all 150 or so pages?

This is the wording in the most recent version of the AFMS for the 530W. It specifies that the manuals “must be immediately available” and does not state restriction on the form, paper or electronic.

2.1 Pilot’s Guide
The Quick Reference Guide, part number and revision listed below (or later
applicable revisions), must be immediately available for the flight crew
whenever navigation is predicated on the use of the 5XXW Series unit.

 500W Series Quick Reference Guide P/N 190-00357-01 Rev H

The Pilot’s Guide Addendum, part number and revision listed below (or later
applicable revision), must be immediately available for the flight crew whenever
one or more of the following units are installed and utilized with the 5XXW
Series unit:

GDL 69/69A XM Satellite Data link
GDL 88 ADS-B Transceiver
GTX 330/330D TIS
Garmin TAWS (GPS 500WT & GNS 530WT)
GTS 8XX Series TAS
Flight Stream 210

 400W/500W Series Optional Displays P/N 190-00356-30 Rev L

The Pilot’s Guide Addendum, part number and revision listed below (or later
applicable revision), must be immediately available for the flight crew whenever
one or more of the following units are installed and utilized with the 5XXW
Series unit:

Stormscope® Lightning Detection System
Skywatch® Traffic Advisory System
Bendix/King® Traffic Advisory System
Avidyne/Ryan TCAD Traffic System

 400W/500W Series Display Interfaces P/N 190-00356-31 Rev D
KUZA, United States

Who can produce the AFMS? Is there a generic template?

always learning
LO__, Austria
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message