Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight plan question

On Friday I am off to Munster Osnabruck to regain night currency. Ideally I would like three stop and go followed immediately by night VFR to the Dutch border and then IFR to Lelystad. Does anybody know if I have to do two plans – one for the 3 s/g and one for the enroute segment or can I do it on one plan? I do not see an answer in the AIP.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

You need two plans. The first one can include the s/g landings (just write “3 landings required”) under remarks in item 18.

Last Edited by what_next at 25 Oct 14:10
EDDS - Stuttgart

Thanks for the info what_next. Two plans it will be

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Well, you don’t need a flight plan for the three circuits. Keep in mind that circuits are not allowed in EDDG after 2200 local time due to noise, but you could do a return trip to HMM if you plan to be around that late.

But for night currency you just need one landing at night to carry passengers within the last 90 days. Proficiency is something completely different though.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

mh wrote:

But for night currency you just need one landing at night to carry passengers within the last 90 days.

If you fly any instrument approaches (I just saw “IFR” in the original post) you do not need to do any night landings for currency. Landings out of instrument approaches count for that purpose!

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

If you fly any instrument approaches (I just saw “IFR” in the original post) you do not need to do any night landings for currency. Landings out of instrument approaches count for that purpose!

I thought a sufficient (and necessary) condition is having an IR.
In the UK, the IR(R) doesn’t exempt you for that requirement.,
If you have an IR, I don’t recall you being required to have landed off an instrument approach to be exempt from the requirement either.

I haven’t done any VFR night flying last year, but I am current for IFR flight.
Am I correct that I can legally fly a visual approach with passengers while on a IFR flightplan, but am illegal if I cancel IFR and fly the same visual approach VFR ?

Landings out of instrument approaches count for that purpose!

That’s amazing. Never heard that before!

That might however be an EASA Part 25 concession, or some such. I recall one CAA guy telling me that the JAA IR passenger concession (below – no night landings required for passenger carriage) was a last minute bodge, done to patch up some inconsistency elsewhere which would have otherwise made it illegal for airline pilots to land at night The FAA gets around this issue differently: the 3 landings (sunset + 1hr) are required only for Part 91 ops. Part 121/122/135 (or whatever they are – it’s years since I had to know the CPL stuff) have their separate concession, allowing night passenger ops implicitly as a license privilege.

I thought a sufficient (and necessary) condition is having an IR.

A valid JAA/EASA IR. An FAA IR doesn’t give you this.

Am I correct that I can legally fly a visual approach with passengers while on a IFR flightplan, but am illegal if I cancel IFR and fly the same visual approach VFR ?

Where do you think there is a problem? If you have a valid EASA IR you can do all of that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

lenthamen wrote:

I haven’t done any VFR night flying last year, but I am current for IFR flight.

You are legal to fly VFR night approaches with passengers as long as your IFR rating is valid, even a VFR approach on a NVFR flight plan.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Yes, my understanding is with my JAA/EASA IR, I could, if I wanted:
- fly only VFR
- never do any approaches
- never fly at night

But I would still legally be allowed to take passengers at night, on a pure VFR flight, without instrument approaches, if I wanted to.

Sadly I find it extremely tenuous to go and find the regulations.

33 Posts
Sign in to add your message