Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight Plan should be filed for any flight that will cross an FIR Boundary ..?

My memory from Air Law about a 1,000 years ago, is that it is technically necessary to file a flight plan when crossing any FIR Boundary, although I’m aware of not doing so eg when flying to Scotland from London..!

This has come up today: my mate Andy took off from Siena in the Roma FIR (LIRR) to set off on a VFR flight for Pescara in the Brindisi FIR (LIBB). A flight plan had not been filed.

Roma refused his calls, “remain at your present position” while still climbing in the overhead. Meanwhile, the local ATC would only clear him to fly at 3,000’ (but the mountains are 6,000’ on track). When he asked for higher, they told him to call Roma, who refused him.

This game of ping pong went on for 40mins before he landed back at Siena. Words were exchanged in the TWR, I gather, and the locals suggested to file a VFR flight plan, which he did. The flight then progressed smoothly as planned.

Talking it over this evening by phone, I suspect the issue was because the flight was crossing from one Italian FIR to another, a VFR flight plan was required..?

My mate Andy had expected to have to file flight plans only when crossing an INTERNATIONAL FIR boundary. And to be fair, in France there appears to be no need to file when crossing internal FIR boundaries…

Can anyone shed light on a) is my suspicion that the issue faced today was due to the planned flight crossing a domestic FIR boundary..? And b) is this a local Italian rule (I’m yet to check Italian AIP Differences section..!). Or c) could something else explain this experience today..?

Thanks in advance..!

Yeah baby!
EGTB

If he needed clearance to climb, he was probably about to enter controlled airspace which requires a flight plan. In many countries, an abbreviated flight plan can be provided by radio and there is no need to file prior to the flight.

Check the Italian AIP to see what the requirements are.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 01 Jul 21:52
LFPT, LFPN

My understanding has been that a flight plan is only needed when crossing an international FIR. Crossing a domestic one does not require a flight plan.

They certainly aren’t required crossing domestic FIRs in the UK, France or Germany.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

According to AIP Italy ENR 1.10-8 and 1.10-9 a flight plan is indeed required for flight within controlled airspace, and AFIL must be done at least 10 minutes prior to planned entry of controlled airspace, presumably with some FIS unit.

Also worth noting that an IFR flight plan must be filed 3 hours prior to EOBT.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 01 Jul 21:51
LFPT, LFPN

The IFR 3 hours before EOBT is an universal rule in Europe, and as universally unnecessary and ignored, made obsoloete by IFPS distribution, which is the upside of the Eurocontrol machinery.

Biggin Hill

Everywhere in Europe it is technically true that a flight plan must be filed before entering controlled airspace – that is usually an abbreviated flight plan filed over the radio eg “GXD at position X request transit of your class D to position Y via XYZ” … the question is, why was it impossible to get any engagement with Roma Information until after a VFR flight plan was filed on the ground..?

Yeah baby!
EGTB

You need to file a fileplan when crossing an international border, not FIR. E.g. when you fly from mainland Sweden to the Swedish island of Gotland you need to file a fileplan, because you cross the swedish border twice when flying over international waters. During the whole flight you remain in Sweden FIR.

The reason you brought up the FIR is probably because you need to use it for EET when crossing a border, but crossing an FIR does not require you immediately to file a fileplan.

ESME, ESMS

No that’s not why I brought up the FIR, it was just a guess. What you describe in Sweden is the same as here in the UK ;)

The question still stands: why in Italy was it necessary for my colleagues to land back at Siena to file a VFR flight plan on the ground for a domestic flight before Roma Info would even talk to them and enable them to continue their journey..?

Last Edited by Aussie_Andy at 02 Jul 07:17
Yeah baby!
EGTB

Everywhere in Europe it is technically true that a flight plan must be filed before entering controlled airspace – that is usually an abbreviated flight plan filed over the radio

Yes, exactly…

What is needed is a view from an Italian pilot because he cannot be jumped on

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Cobalt wrote:

The IFR 3 hours before EOBT is an universal rule in Europe, and as universally unnecessary and ignored, made obsoloete by IFPS distribution, which is the upside of the Eurocontrol machinery.

As far as I understand, the “universal rule” in Europe is 60 minutes before flight, unless flow control is applied. In that case only the flight plan should be submitted 3 hours in advance. And even in that case you can submit later, but you are likely to get a considerably worse slot than you would have otherwise.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message