Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight Sharing/ Rentals thru private owners/clubs

Was wondering about someone came across a flight share platform which allows you to rent an aircraft at better prices than flying schools.
I am planning hour building later on this year however I wish to make an experience out of it rather than just local flying.

Found a site in poland but it seems to be outdated.

Would appreciate any thoughts and/or links.

Malta

Not aware of any such platform – and would assume there is only a very limited market for it (from supply side) as clubs typically only rent out to membersand private owners can rarely offer prices that are below “flight school” ones as private aircraft have much lower utilization typically.

Germany

I do flight-sharing on my plane to let multi-engine time build-up, or some IFR proc. exercises.
but rather locally. I don’t rent the plane out.

Poland

Dru190 wrote:

I am planning hour building later on this year however I wish to make an experience out of it rather than just local flying.

Go to the US, find a C152 or C172 for a long term rental or even buy one and go flying.

We’re running a Beagle Pup 100 as an hour building club from Stapleford aerodrome.

We are only open to hour builders doing their Commercial License, but we are doing membership at £12 a year and as low as £80 an hour wet.

If you’re interested, let me know and we can organise a chat and checkride for after the lockdown 3.0 ends….

Learning & burning
Popham, United Kingdom

Newbie wrote:

If you’re interested, let me know and we can organise a chat and checkride for after the lockdown 3.0 ends….

and before lockdown 4.0 begins…..

I’ll get my coat…..

EDL*, Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

Not aware of any such platform – and would assume there is only a very limited market for it (from supply side) as clubs typically only rent out to membersand private owners can rarely offer prices that are below “flight school” ones as private aircraft have much lower utilization typically.

Interesting concept. Do you think there would be appetite from owners for the equivalent of “Wingly” but for pilots. In other words, a platform as mentioned above to rent aircraft to licensed pilots. Providing the owner with higher utilisation. Even if such rentals (at first) don’t necessarily compete with the low hourly costs that some schools do offer. I guess the question would be if you’d get traction from some of the higher performance aircraft owners…

EGSX

IMO, the problem is screening the pilots. The “market standard” is at least a checkflight with an instructor chosen by the owner/operator. As an owner, I wouldn’t settle for less; as a renter, I find this “too much hassle”. For fairly standard types, I would believe in some kind of mutual trust network where a checkout at one owner (in one country) counts as a checkout at another owner (in another country); I saw one such network for the US some time ago.

ELLX

lionel wrote:

IMO, the problem is screening the pilots. The “market standard” is at least a checkflight with an instructor chosen by the owner/operator. As an owner, I wouldn’t settle for less; as a renter, I find this “too much hassle”

I agree exotic touring types require specific currency and regular checks that it would impossible to match between owners & renters
Onprice, the hourly cost that would please anyone is 300% school rental, but renters don’t value availability that high and owner don’t factor in the cost of low utlisation…

Besides, one can get into endless debates on operating parameters even on top of what’s in POH (e.g. grass runways, high power, LOP/ROP, weather flying), I recall while renting an Arrow from an owner, the sticking points were pitot heat operation (should not be ON in VMC or aircraft will fall from the sky) and using his own exact method for changing fuel tanks (or aircraft will fall from the sky), you won’t get into that much details when you rent a PA28 from the nearest school

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Mar 09:57
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

TimR wrote:

I guess the question would be if you’d get traction from some of the higher performance aircraft owners…

Esp. with higher performance aircraft I doubt that it works (speaking as the owner of one of these):
- Most of them are insured with named pilots and/or significant time on type requirement for pilots. I would not change my insurance (hence pay significantly higher premiums) in the hope that I can overcompensate by renting out
- CAMO becomes almost mandatory as you do not want to get into liability questions if one of the renters is harmed by a technical fault
- The reason you own (and do not rent) the plane in the first place is because you want to use it when you want (even on short notice).

To cut a long story short: “Private rent out” of such planes have a role when it comes to adjusting for unusual circumstances (e.g. if you can not fly yourself for a certain period of time due to medical, job, family, etc. but do not want to sell). It will, however, always be a small niche.

Germany
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message