Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying and the older pilot

An exception might be when the plane has e.g. no brakes on the RHS! But then training in such types is always going to be, ahem, interesting…

It is surely interesting but not impossible, even when the student can’t depress the (left side only) heel brake pedals simultaneous with full rudder application, as required for tight turns in a tail wheel plane. My instructor was amused and said “somebody needs to figure out how to use the brakes in all situations, and since I have no pedals I’d suggest it be you” So I did, and when required learned to use left toe on right brake pedal, and vice versa. When braking in a straight line without rudder I did it the normal way. Fancy foot work

It didn’t hurt that our initial training was done off an 8000 ft x 150 ft runway. Getting lost on the runway was the main problem, as opposed to staying on it.

My other plane has a single brake handle in the middle and flies nicely from either seat, solo or dual.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Mar 21:40

I am actually wrong in this case. The FI/CRI is the PIC, even in the RHS; although not in all cases. … But other pilots in the RHS of a typical SEP cannot be PIC

… the FI/CRI can always log time as PIC
… in Aircraft that have a miniumum crew of two the Copilot can be PIC
… in a typical SEP the pilot in the left hand seat is the PIC if both crew members are licenced. If the POH doesn’t say which seat then the LHS is the seat of the PIC
… if there’s only one licenced pilot on board he has to be in the PIC’s seat, typically the LHS

There’s more to that, like who can log times und what circumstances etc etc …

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 12 Mar 21:34

… now you made me think again. It’s been so long that I haven’t done any, that I maybe got it wrong now! Let me check!

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 12 Mar 21:05

i mean the official SEP revalidation flight.

Just so that we are clear, you are referring to the 1 hour training flight, that a pilot needs with an instructor if they want to revalidate by experience (ie 12 hours including 1 * 1 hr training flight, 6 hours PIC * 12 landings)?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

No, i mean the official SEP revalidation flight. And you are not allowed to fly a plane like a Warrior, Cirrus – or TB20 from the right seat, because by german aviation law the LHS is the seat for the PIC.

When I (as a CRI) do a biannual SEP check with the holder of a PPL then he is the PIC, not me

Do you mean some club checkout? Or are you referring to the biennial training flight for revalidation of a SEP class rating?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

So who’s PIC if you fly on your own in the right seat?

Forever learning
EGTB

the instructor is always PIC even when the LHS holds all papers required for the actual flight (in a G-reg, anyway)

I cannot believe that’s true. When I (as a CRI) do a biannual SEP check with the holder of a PPL then he is the PIC, not me.

Alexis simplified things a bit. The relevant regulation is this one (sorry, available only in German, no time to translate, and even if I did, it would raise more questions than answers… ).

LuftVO § 2 Verantwortlicher Luftfahrzeugführer

-——————————————————————————————————————-

(1) Die Vorschriften dieser Verordnung über die Rechte und Pflichten des Luftfahrzeugführers gelten für den verantwortlichen Luftfahrzeugführer unabhängig davon, ob er das Luftfahrzeug selbst bedient oder nicht.

(2) Luftfahrzeuge sind während des Flugs und am Boden von dem verantwortlichen Luftfahrzeugführer zu führen. Er hat dabei den Sitz des verantwortlichen Luftfahrzeugführers einzunehmen, ausgenommen bei Ausbildungs-, Einweisungs- und Prüfungsflügen oder im Falle des Absatzes 3, wenn der Halter etwasanderes bestimmt hat.

(3) Sind mehrere zur Führung des Luftfahrzeugs berechtigte Luftfahrer an Bord, ist verantwortlicher Luftfahrzeugführer, wer als solcher bestimmt ist. Die Bestimmung ist vom Halter oder von seinem gesetzlichen Vertreter, bei einer juristischen Person von dem vertretungsberechtigten Organ zu treffen. Den nach Satz 2 Verpflichteten steht gleich, wer mit der Leitung oder Beaufsichtigung des Unternehmens eines anderen beauftragt oder von diesem ausdrücklich damit betraut ist, die Bestimmung nach Satz 1 in eigener Verantwortlichkeit zu treffen.

(4) Ist eine Bestimmung entgegen der Vorschrift des Absatzes 3 nicht getroffen, so ist derjenige verantwortlich, der das Luftfahrzeug von dem Sitz des verantwortlichen Luftfahrzeugführers aus führt. Ist in dem Flughandbuch oder in der Betriebsanweisung des Luftfahrzeugs der Sitz des verantwortlichen Luftfahrzeugführers nicht besonders bezeichnet, gilt

1. bei Flugzeugen, Motorseglern und Segelflugzeugen mit nebeneinander angeordneten Sitzen der linke Sitz,2. bei Flugzeugen, Motorseglern und Segelflugzeugen mit hintereinander angeordneten Sitzen der beim Alleinflug einzunehmende Sitz,3. bei Drehflüglern der rechte Sitzals der Sitz des verantwortlichen Luftfahrzeugführers.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Mar 19:08
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

If you lose your medical and want to fly with a Co in a SEP he will have to be in the LHS to be legal.

This makes me wonder what the German rules on tandem seaters are?

EHLE
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message