Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in IMC with a stormscope and no radar

Nice documentation! I hope you sell many more, because it’s a great and affordable system.

I also think this is a great illustration of how ADL120 (delayed, but wide area —> great for planning ahead) works together with radar (real-time, but more local —> great for getting the actual avoidance right if not in VMC).

Biggin Hill

Sebastian, does your system integrate into the G1000? I saw an old thread where you said you had a customer that was going to try it but I couldn’t find anything further.

Am I right in thinking if it does integrate, then you could use it instead of a GSR56?

Thanks

JWL
Booker EGTB

I don’t know the ADL 120 system but it seems to run on an iPad is it commercialized?

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Peter, as regards planning, I would use the TEMP/Humidity charts and relative humidity at altitude charts, but it is a cumbersome process, so the ultimate laziness / safety balance I have established for my flying is as follows:

1) get a basic weather briefing from autorouter (actually, I would not call that basic – rather EXCELLENT)
2) check vertical cloud development along the route and over time for example in www.windyty.com
3) carry an ADL120 (great, works and affordable) and rely on stormscope, too
4) NEVER penetrate layers of IMC if embedded convection forecasted
5) rely on visual identification of fast buildups during daytime (isolated T/S can always be avoided, if there is a serious line of instability, it will show on forecast and when unable to fly around, should be able to fly back)
6) apply much stricter criteria for GO decision into potential convective build-ups area during night time

CenturionFlyer
LKLT

The cats meow was for me, Stormscope and XM weather really missed it heading into the Caribbean and Central America of course miss it in Europe as well. I will one day get Sebastians radar. Hopefully this year.

By the way SS works very well if you know how to use it.

KHTO, LHTL

@Centurion_Flyer, Why would you (3) use an ADL120 or Stormscope if you (4) never enter IMC with the possibility of embedded convection and (5) rely on visual indentification of buildups?

Isn’t the whole point of Stormscope/Radar to avoid convection in IMC?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 24 Nov 07:03
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

NEVER penetrate layers of IMC if embedded convection forecasted

I agree, but how do you assess this? There is AFAIK no “simple” forecast of “embedded convection”. All one can get is proxies e.g. a TAF of TSRA would indicate nasty stuff, or the troughs on the MSLP chart.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Isn’t the whole point of Stormscope/Radar to avoid convection in IMC?

Sure but in fact having weather information in VMC is also very helpfull. If you navigate only visually between convective cells it is like driving into an unknown city without a map. Every turn could lead into a dead end…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

yes, I know that some people would fly into IMC with a risk of build-ups, just relying on stormscope; I am not one of them; maybe 3000 hour later ;)

Peter, my experience is that the London professional forecasters usually get the significant weather forecast fairly accurate; I sometimes try to be more clever than those guys by interpreting the vertical/time cloud distribution at windyty.com, when flying onthe edges of their forecast, but yet with too little empirical observations to draw any conclusions

CenturionFlyer
LKLT
Sign in to add your message