Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in Italy and in the EU with a FAA PPL in 2022

Merci! I hadn’t seen that one. I wonder how we will know on 1st January what the new rules are? And more important, how the people supposed to implement them (examiners etc) will know. Oh well, wait and see…

LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

I wonder how we will know on 1st January what the new rules are? And more important, how the people supposed to implement them (examiners etc) will know.

Which rules do you mean? EASA examiner know, which rules apply to candidates who apply for an EASA license (and renewal thereof). Same should be true for FAA examiners and FAA licenses. The question if you are allowed a specific airplane in a specific situation with a specific license is none of an examiners business.

Life is simple (and only sometimes presented as complex by people who do not like the simple truth and need to construct a more complex world to then pretend it is so complex that it has loopholes they can use): European regulator decided many years ago that if you reside in Europe and want to fly an airplane in Europe you need a European license (btw.: The very same regulation has been in place for driving licenses since ages w/o any problems).
To help people that do not fulfill this requirement, the regulator allowed for temporary exceptions to give people time to get the required European license (isn’t it a great regulator ?!?). It is not surprising at all that these temporary exception will end at some point in time. People had more than 5 years now to get the required licenses.
Yes, there might be some exotic cases of people who fly an exotic type where it is practically impossible to get a type rating for in an EASA license – but the vast majority of pilots had enough time to get it done.

Germany

Which rules do you mean?

I think you’ve missed something. The rules for getting an EASA license if you already have a valid ICAO license are undergoing a huge change. Subject to some experience requirements, in theory from last May all you need to do is pass a medical and a checkride, and do some paperwork. There is no longer a need for any theory exam or formal training. What I am trying to figure out is how that is being implemented, specifically in France. For the moment though the DGAC/DSAC hasn’t come up with any actual process, though apparently (from one of the other replies) they have said it will be possible from January.

LFMD, France

Malibuflyer wrote:

Only ratings based o the license have an expiration date – but this is true for ratings based on FAA-licenses as well

As a general statement that is not correct for FAA certificates. With the exception of student pilot certificates, FAA pilot certificates are currently issued without a specific expiration date and none appears on the certificate. Nonetheless, instructor certificates do expire after 24 months unless renewed. The FAA makes a clear distinction between the holding of a certificate (which never expires) and additional requirements that may need to be met for a pilot to exercise the rights and privileges of that certificate in various situations (currency, reviews, proficiency checks). These additional requirements are not part of the certificate.

LSZK, Switzerland

And in general there is no government record or form completed to record the status of an FAA certificated pilot’s currency, reviews or proficiency required to exercise non-expiring FAA ratings. The only record is the pilots own record, which itself does not need to extend beyond that needed to demonstrate legality for a given operation on a given day.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Dec 15:13
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message