Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in New Zealand

I know we’ve had a couple of threads here on this but nothing that specifically meets my needs.
I’ll be in the South Island in November and have seen that Marlborough flying club do a two day strip flying course. I’d really like to have a go at that but have sent them an email and got no response.
Anyone here with any contacts/experience/other ideas?
I have an EASA licence so fully expect to have to be under instruction/supervision at all times but that’s OK.

Forever learning
EGTB

I’d phone them up. I got the impression when I went down there that not many aspirants from the Northern hemisphere actually turn up. I formed that impression when I walked into the flying club at Ardmore on the appointed day and time to gasps of amazement and a good bit of scrabbling around to find the aircraft and instructor that i’d booked…

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

does NZ allow “flying cowboys style” backcountry flying? or it has to be from / to airfields only? what about private strips?

Switzerland

One curious thing I’ve heard about New Zealand is you need type ratings for bug smashers! Apparently, you need a type rating for a C172, PA28 etc. and it’s actually on your license.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

One curious thing I’ve heard about New Zealand is you need type ratings for bug smashers! Apparently, you need a type rating for a C172, PA28 etc. and it’s actually on your license.

Before EASA, you needed that in Sweden too, except it wasn’t called a rating and it was entered in your log book, not on the license.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message