Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in Poland VFR and IFR

Anyone who can help me?

I’m planning an IFR trip in june from EHRD (Rotterdam, the Netherlands) to EPMO (Warsaw Modlin aerodrome). If someone has any tips or tricks flying (VFR/IFR) in Poland I would love to hear them! Also a nice IFR aerodrome around Berlin to refuel and get a nice meal.

Thanks!

Xavier

Xav
Netherlands

Hello Xavier,

There are quite a few airfields around Berlin but none of them currently have IFR-procedures. Schönhagen EDAZ to the SW of Berlin is supposed to get one, this was due to go live on 29 March this year, but it had to be postponed for some administrative reasons imposed by the authorities. According to their website (www.flugplatz-schoenhage.aero), they hope the delay will only be a few weeks so they might have a procedure by the time you are planning your flight.

Other than that EDAZ is a nice field with good facilities, a friendly staff and a restaurant.

An altenative might be Strausberg EDAY to the E of Berlin (www.flugplatz-strausberg.de). They also have a restaurant at the field and two others 10 mins away by foot. Also good facilities and very helpful staff. Home to Stemme Aircraft. One can walk 10 mins to the train station. From there it is about an hour by train to the center of Berlin, in case that is of interest.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Only a partial answer to the original question but I did fly UK-Poland a couple of years ago and there might be a few clues in my trip report:

https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/6507-egtc-cranfield-to-epop-opole#post_117758

strip near EGGW

IFR flying in Poland is just like anywhere else in Europe. To stay in CAS you need to be at FL100 minimum. There is no problem with flying IFR lower as well but then of course OCAS.

VFR is straight forward as well. The information service is very helpful with radar coverage (traffic advisories) throughout most of the country. Local pilots communicate in Polish but information service works in English as well.

The biggest issue when flying VFR are lots of military TSA that are active on weekdays. They are usually inactive on weekends though.

EPMO, Poland

If money does not matter Schönhagen and Strausberg are a good choice near Berlin. But keep in mind that AVGAS is expensive, 2,36 E. at EDAZ, 2,37 E at EDAY.
A good alternative on your way would be Hildesheim, EDVM, AVGAS 1,85 E or near Berlin Bienenfarm, AVGAS 1,99. Both have a restaurant and friendly staff as EDAZ and EDAY. Some jerry cans would certainly help.

Berlin, Germany

Should anyone of you fly to Poland below is the link that may help.
Yes, when flying VFR Polish airspace is a bit tricky due to army/airforce/navy and so on zones.
As mentioned above, almost nothing is going on on weekends.

The link below leads to Polish Air Navigation Service Agency, it’s official website, no login is necessary.
By clicking (left, middle) AUP “Current” or “Tomorrow” a pup up window appears with a map.
Just select time frame of the flight, flight level range you’re planning and here you go.
Graphic info clearly shows Polish Airspace availability.
There are many other filters TMA, MATZ, TSA, EA and so on.
Good luck and have a nice trip:

http://www.amc.pansa.pl/?menu_lewe=mapy&lang=_eng

BTW – I’m planing this April to fly to the West via Heringsdorf, somewhere around Lubeck, Cuxhaven, Bremerhaven to Dutch border (maybe further) then on the way back a stop in Rone, Bornholm.

Last Edited by Kristof at 02 Apr 12:22
EPXX

EPMO is said to be the most GA-friendly major airport in Poland, with ATC who have no problem fitting in the occasional RyanAir flight in with the people training for a PPL in the circuit and other GA traffic; I believe someone even took a powered paraglider there, just for kicks.

Can’t speak for IFR, but, despite appearances, Poland still is a EU country and I’d expect IFR to work exactly the same as it does anywhere else in the vicinity (ie. EuroControl).

For VFR, I don’t think there are any major “gotchas”, plan as you normally would, be sure to check in with your local FIS sector and they will be very helpful.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Can just concur, it’s been quite straight forward both VFR and IFR. I’m actually most impressed by the easiness in handling at the airports, both at Poznan and Gdańsk. No fuzz at all, easy access to aircraft and quick payment or invoicing.

I’ve flown Modlin – UK a couple of times. On the first occasion, it was a Sunday and due to weather issues a change of plan. Modlin was the only one to answer the phone and the response was three words: “You can come”. They are very accommodating and affordable. Just don’t have any liquids etc in your bags on the way out especially Whiskey because they have a special silver plated bin for stuff like that. There’s an excellent hotel nearby – The Royal.

I can’t offer any IFR advice but VFR is a breeze thanks to Skydemon and a decent amount of pre-planning using the Polish AIS website. I didn’t know about the airspace site listed above and that looks very good, but I’ve found Polish FIS very helpful and probably irritated them by asking for each bit of unfamiliar airspace “request confirm cleared to cross xxx” to which the reply is sometimes “we’d prefer you to route yyy instead”.

Modlin – EDAZ is very do-able with no high ground and good radio contact the whole way.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Flying IFR above G-class is same as anywhere else in Europe.

Flying VFR, it’s useful to check the AMC link above for active TSA, TRA, etc.
FIS speaks basic English and will typically advise if you’re about to enter some restricted area. They also give traffic advice. No need to request it.

Last Edited by loco at 03 Apr 14:16
LPFR, Poland
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message