Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in Italy

… Don’t worry about the details, no one cares, just write OK at each line.

And when they ask for license numbers, passport numbers, passenger names and suchlikes on these forms, just invent them as you write. Nobody ever noticed in the twenty years that I’ve been doing this and nobody ever asked to see the real documents.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Hah. When I applied for my Italian tax number on moving here, I gave my UK address as London, England.

No problem!

London area

Some have found it difficult, complicated or expensive to get fuel in Italy,so I thought it might be worth mentioning this place Torino Aeritalia LIMA:

http://www.aeroclubtorino.it/en/torino-aeritalia-airport/tariffs.html

No ILS, but perhaps a let-down could be obtained from Caselle Tower?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I was based in LIMA for one year (2002-2003). A nice place. Has a special place in my heart (just after LIPN – Boscomantico ). On base leg, one almost scratches the roofs of the six-storey houses of Turin.

Yes, you can use the ILS of Caselle for the approach. That procedure is officially published in the AIP.

Aeroclub Torino mostly uses 45-year old Cherokee 140s for PPL training. No intercoms! Cult, but very much old school. No money to buy something new.

Unfortunately, it’s all in decline nowadays.

Landing fees for visitors are nil. Avgas is expensive, but at least it’s available for visitors.

Turin is a fantastic city. Much mire beautiful than Milan (which is a dump).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 25 Jun 18:45
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Another field in Italy that has Avgas (and Mogas, too) available to visitors is the Aviosuperficie in Castelnuovo Don Bosco, slightly east of Turin. I visited the place last Sunday. The nearby little town has some good eateries, but all in all I did not find the place very remarkable. The one superb highlight was an unrequested guided visit of the ICP microlight factory, which looked very bright and clean and organised, actually rather un-Italian but quite impressive.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

[This thread starts with posts moved from the Greek thread – Peter]

Well from all the stories Ive heard about flying in Italy I had decided not to fly to Italy. Just like I didnt fly to Maine in the US when their tax office went crazy and decided to impose a use tax. The end result is money talks. They figured out that they shot themselves in the foot and repealed the use tax. The same thing happened in Italy, I think.

So after being badgered by the Mission Kommander for an Italian experience mentally Ive relented. Perhaps we will go next year. If they behave. If not well good luck with your unemployment. I dont need the aggravation while Im paying for it. There are other places Im sure that appreciate my money. After all commerce is a two way street.

A good take away from Med flyer is that when there is no linkage between behavior and either punishment or reward there is indifference. That holds true for the political class and the bureaucrats. Both get paid no matter how lousy they perform.

Thats why a little tip money goes a long way for better service. Unfortunately some call that corruption. I think in Germany its called Wer gut schmirt der gut Fahrt.

KHTO, LHTL

I would still fly to Italy C210 … despite their craziness it’s a fantastic destination. And it’s fun to fight with italians :-) One of my next flights will be to Catania again, Sicilly is such a beautiful place.

MedFlyer: yes!
I sometimes have the feeling that there’s a strong influence of the military on GA in Greece, maybe still a leftover from the 70s … no?

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 05 Jun 09:08

Well from all the stories Ive heard about flying in Italy I had decided not to fly to Italy.

I have only made one trip to Italy in 1987, landing in Milano/Linate. It was the most unpleasant aviation experience I’ve ever had and I’m sorry to hear that things haven’t improved.

I won’t bore you with all the gory details, suffice to say that when Linate TWR had messed up the departure sequencing on the ground, they asked me to taxi under the wing (!!) of an airliner. When this happened, I wasn’t in the least surprised.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Very interesting. Im sure from a bureaucratic viewpoint if the Cessna had not landed, breaking the FARs, none of the deficiencies at the airport would have been brought to light and so in reality it was the Cessna pilots fault.

For a moment I thought there was some justice, when the airport personnel got sentenced but after the appeal not sure how many actually served time.

KHTO, LHTL

Italy varies.

Last year I flew to Elba and Lucca, both of which were suberb.

A few other times I flew to Trieste and that was fine too, with only the avgas installation straight out of Mad Max being an issue, and if you were alone you would not be able to maneuver the aircraft when you got there because the taxiway was too narrow to turn around.

Padova was fine too although they shafted me on final approach on another flight from Croatia, so I would get gold plated PPR confirmation from them, signed in the airport manager’s blood

I would fly to any of the above again.

Treviso and Oristano I would not touch with a bargepole. Caglieri was OK but hassled me for some VAT (totally falsely) for months afterwards.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message