Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying Sleap EGCV to Friedrichshafen EDNY The Global Show April 2018

I would like to fly in my Sportscruiser, home base Sleap EGCV Shropshire to the Friedrichshafen EDNY Global Show in April 2018 and considering the route to take.

I would like to make 2 stops – possibly Le Touquet and ‘another’ en route to divide the airtime into around 2 hour slots. My cruising speed is 93 kts.

Can anyone suggest possible routes and airfields – I am currently reading other threads about Friedrichshafen for general information.

Regards John

EGCV Sleap, United Kingdom

The straight line between LFAT and EDNY has some dense intricate airspace, but you can ask and obtain transit. Be prepared to follow the recommended VFR routes, they might ask you to follow them; in my experience they usually don’t.

LFJY is near the middle between LFAT and EDNY. It has 100LL and UL91; it is an auto-information radio field, but English is legal/accepted on the radio. There is a restaurant on the aerodrome La table de Juliette. I must admit I never ate there yet.

If you prefer to have an “AFIS agent” on the ground, there is LFSN but when the AFIS agent is absent English is forbidden on the radio, French only, so pay attention to his schedule. The VAC chart says there is a restaurant, but I don’t know it.

If you prefer to avoid too much CAS, you can go further south to LFQB, but you’ll have to stay below Paris’ class A airspace; either really low or fly not-a-direct-line. The AFIS agent is closed for lunch time, so during that time it is French-only. If you don’t have “aeronautical French”, you’ll have to avoid that time slot.

LFQA is probably somewhat too close to LFAT to make balanced legs, but is welcoming, too.

These are all cheap aerodromes.

Geographically, LFSG is also “right”, but no AFIS agent (and during that time FR-only and no fuel) on Saturday (if you intend to fly back on Saturday). I only ever went there on a week-end, it was a ghost town, so I have no particular comment.

If you are specifically looking for smaller grass club-run fields, I have other suggestions, but I assumed that’s not what you were after.

Last Edited by lionel at 28 Nov 10:52
ELLX

Allow me to suggest you consider LFAC Calais for clearing “customs” rather than LFAT: less expensive, less Brit-infested
Then, I have read (on these very pages) warnings against flying over Northern France: the scenery must be boring to the extreme.
So you could consider flying a bit more Northerly – already helped by switching to LFAC – and select EBSH Saint Hubert for your intermediate: grass runways, good resto on site, AvGas available, MoGas might perhaps be arranged. Or also EDRB Bitburg with a hard runway and a quite lively ultralight community – but you might find it on the expensive side.
PM welcome!

Last Edited by at 28 Nov 12:48
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

IME, LFAC and LFAT are both good choices for the first stop. Both very quick for both refuel and paying the fee. Maybe a very small difference in cost – a few mins of avgas burn. LFAT has a new self service pump which is probably cheaper than the bowser but may need the TOTAL card.

PM welcome!

This is a forum

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LFAT is nicer but significantly more expensive. 30€ vs. 12€ landing fee. Fuel is also a lot more expensive.

LFAT has a new self service pump

Five years old now.

which is probably cheaper than the bowser

A LOT cheaper. TOTAL standard pump price is currently 1.79€. The bowser price is an exaggerated 2.25€ presently.

but may need the TOTAL card

Of course it does.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 28 Nov 16:28
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the replies – great suggestions, i’ll research the various routes.

Regards John

EGCV Sleap, United Kingdom

Here’s another vote for LFAC as an efficient Schengen entry/exit point. A 15-20 minute turnaround is normal.

For that time of year, I would prepare three or four routes and levels according to wind and cloud.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message