Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying Spain to Canaries

Any challenges dealing with the Casablanca FIR?

EGTK Oxford

Flying IFR? nothing will be different apart from the fact that civilian ATC don’t have radars that covers the whole open-FIR

Flying VFR, you will need FPL for any flight, track specific VFR routes with reporting points and eta updates (very frustrating procedural stuff that make things complicated in weak VMC and even applies to gliders ), the reset should be the same, ATC speaks English but may address you in French by mistake from time to time…

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Oct 17:55
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thanks. Will be IFR and currently looking like I can stay in Spanish FIR rather than Casablanca.

EGTK Oxford

Nothing to worry about Casablanca FIR.
They are used to deal with IFR and they now have radar coverage almost anywhere.
I know that your airplane is quite long range know but if you want cheap fuel Morocco is a good place (GMTT GMMX)

Have a nice flight

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

JasonC wrote:

Will be IFR and currently looking like I can stay in Spanish FIR rather than Casablanca.

Well, my experience is a way back but Casablanca FIR is totally unproblematic, so this should not really influence your routing choice. They are used to the canary traffic which I guess is one of their main businesses. They have no radar but for this time and age, where everyone has GPS over water, this is not an issue. In my time, we were about the only ones which did (SE210R, Pronav 150 GPS (later Garmin) bolted under the overhead panel. Worked like a breeze. )

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Yes, on a direct route IFR will be in Spanish FIR

My experience is mainly VFR flying in the south back in 2012 in lower airspace
IFR should be OK as it is harmonized with Euro-control, it seems they have new radar coverage in Agadir (see edits in blue) probably to support more canary traffic flows?

http://siamaroc.onda.ma/eAIP/ENR/ENR1.6.pdf

Anyway, enjoy the trip !

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Oct 15:16
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Did 4 IFR legs in Morroco last year. Absolutely fine. Mostly ladies communicating clearly and decisively. You may be in better hands than with Spanish ATC ;)

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message