Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Corsica with ULM - impossible/not allowed due to lack of VOR/(certified) GPS?

Good evening,

a friend of mine is planning to fly to Corse with his ULM in summer.

French AIP ENR 1.2 constitutes:

FLIGHTS OVER THE SEA UNDER VFR
….
WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN: FLIGHT ROUTES AND PROCEDURES
APPLICABLE TO GENERAL AIR TRAFFIC AIRCRAFT FLYING UNDER
VFR RULES OVER.

5 ACFT EQUIPMENT
Aircraft shall be equipped with a VOR receiver or a GPS category A, B or C.

As ULMs (mostly) do not have a VOR receiver or (certified) GPS on board, they are literally not allowed to fly to Corse, are they?
What do you guys think?

Best regards

I think the reading is impeccable. However some work-arounds might be considered:

• for the GPS, the text requires some certification, but not so for the VOR. So a handheld with VOR could be a valid solution. Can’t be sure, though. If one is going to acquire an 8,33 handheld anyway, the VOR extra could be inexpensive and worthwhile;
  • if it were for myself to do, I’d approach Corsica from Italy, avoiding both the mentioned limitations/regulations and long stretches over water;
  • finally, I can’t help thinking that most local ULM’ists would just fly it, perhaps never calling anyone on the radio and never filing a flight plan. Ni vu ni connu as they say in French. And neither are mandatory, as far as I know. Of course both would be wise, but that is another discussion
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

From the Visual Approach Chart for Figari:

“ULM activity: prohibited activity SAT, SUN and HOL between June 1st and September 30th. Outside these periods use of AD on ATS authorisation only, with seven days PN”

Otherwise, I think the wording of the French AIP is quite clear.

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

I can’t help thinking that most local ULM’ists would just fly it, perhaps never calling anyone on the radio and never filing a flight plan.

Jan, with respect, that may be your personal view, but do you have any solid evidence to back up this sort of statement? Otherwise, I think it does a disservice to the ULM community to make such (unfounded) claims – it simply reinforces the myth that (all) microlighters are cowboys with little or no regard for the law.

Bordeaux

@Jojo, you have read me very correctly: I did state “I THINK” which clearly indicates the lack of solid evidence.

And no, of course, there are exceptions. Myself am the one perfect example of an ULM’er abiding by all laws and rules (observe solid self-irony!) and there might even be a few more – in France and elsewhere! (more irony might be found here)

Then again, I never used a term like cowboy for a pilot knowing and respecting the law, while able to detect and “exploit” its little flaws. Nor will I ever. Now WHO is spreading myths?

And I certainly stated “most” – not “(all)”. Please do not twist my words.

Regarding this particular aerodrome (when I first replied, the ICAO code was not yet in the thread title): ULM’ers will prefer smaller aerodromes generally, for reasons like better fuel availability, less tire wear, lower landing fees (if any!), less hassle generally. Why the pilot in the opening message would like to fly to this relatively big airport is a bit of a mystery to me – but, as always and everywhere, to each their own.

Last Edited by at 02 Jan 20:38
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

It was me who added (as I often do) the ICAO code into the thread title. The ICAO code is valuable when somebody does a search for a particular airport. I believe LFKF goes under at least 3 names and it is not the only one.

Figari
Figari-Sud
Corse

So I hope LFKF is the one which the OP meant.

Many posters miss the banner at the top of the forum section

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for clarification, @Peter. But I never saw the opening post indicating any particular aerodrome? And there are several on this island, even if there’s not quite a multitude.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I didn’t edit the post (I almost never edit posts for content) so, yeah, maybe “Corse” is not LFKF. Maybe @tb_flyer can clarify?

Administrator

I am under the impression that the French refer to Corsica as ‘Corse’. So the OP could be referring to LFKC (Calvi) @Peter, your favourite place.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

I wasn’t referring to a certain AD… If I had to, I would choose Propriano (LFKO) or Figari (LFKF).

Last Edited by TB_flyer at 02 Jan 21:10

I have edited the subject from “Corse LFKF” to “Corsica”.

your favourite place

Next time, I will ask you to quote for cleaning the aircraft

Administrator
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message