Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to flyfish

Anyone of you know airports where one can – preferably by foot – find flowing waters for flyfishing? Someone here wrote about camping and preparing trout over an open fire, and that picture stuck with me. Would be nice if it was an hour or two flying from Teuge (EHTE), lack of time makes the camping part somewhat difficult, so I need to focus on the trout for now!

Thanks!

EHTE, Netherlands
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think there is a nice trout river beside Eggesford

www.eggesfordairfield.co.uk

A wonderful part of England. The people are so friendly down there.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Chilbolton is near the River Test, possibly England’s finest chalk bed stream.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Chilbolton looks lovely, but 411 meters and grass is stretching it for the Mooner.

EHTE, Netherlands

The Itchen is amazing. I was wondering how close you might get, with Popham and Southampton both possibilites, but neither is walking. Not far, but rather more than a walk.

Apart from learning how to cast the line in The Netherlands on a course, I only have experience doing fly fishing in Dullstroom, South Africa. September-October is the ideal trout season there. It is on my wishlist to do some fly fishing in Scotland. Doing a search on Google brings up lots of places to go in Scotland and I can’t imagine one of them being close to a UK airfield. One option could be You Fish Scotland in Inverness. Inverness has a 1887 m runway, instrument approaches as well as AVGAS but it is not exactly 1-2 hours of flight away from Teuge (472 NM). So @Bobo:, if you ever want to split the costs and fly together there, then PM me.

EDLE, Netherlands

I could recount piloting up the East coast of Oz to the Ningaloo Reef, and fly fishing in the lagoon for GT’s and Passports (perhaps two of the very best fly game fish on the planet) but then that might only make you jealous! Unfortunately I didnt catch any Passport, which I gather are some people’s dream catch, returning year after year, often without success. I can however assure you that the GT is an experience second to none.

To be fair wild brown in a chalk stream still takes some beating. Never tried Salmon mind you, I can dream.

I had a trip planned for May to go to Florida, rent a Cessna 182 there and fly to the Bahamas to do some Fly fishing for bonefish. I had the tickets (KLM) booked and am now “stuck” for the moment with a voucher from KLM in hope of better times to come.

Here is a video about bone fishing in the Bahamas. From what I looked up on the East coast of Australia looks promising as well @Fuji_Abound: but a bit too far off. Remember that @Bobo: was looking for a place 1-2 hours away from home.

EDLE, Netherlands

Dont know why I said Passport I meant Permit.

You should take a trip to Exmouth, I really cant recommend it highly enough. I will put you in contact with one of the nicest guides I have come across.

I am afraid he doesnt look exactly like the girl in the vide.

You can fly yoursefl up from Perth.

Oh no, I appreciate he was wanting something just a little closer! A little thread drift.

Back to reality, and he may well try one of the spots in the UK that have been suggested – if anyone knows somewhere within walking distance that would be interesting.

The Bahamas is lovely. You probably know there are soemtimes some issues flying yourself from Florida. If you rent the rules vary, some require an IR, some various other stuff, just to make it a little more complicated than renting in Florida. The Florida Keys may also be interesting, although I have flown there, but never fished. A little touristy for my liking, but perhaps once off shore it gets better.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 16 Jun 12:43
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message