Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to France from Germany: Airport of entry needed?

Guys,
Sure some of you can put me on track. I am planing a trip from Germay to France (lfet).
No customs, no police need to be informed. Flight plan not required by the German but apparently needed for the French (not sure of that).
i read in some unofficial doc i have to arrive at an airport of entry. But i didn’t find any official reference for that. Any idea where i can find the official information?
Thanks
Emmanuel

LFBR

For flights within EU&Schengen you do not need to fly to/from an airport of entry. You do however need a flight plan although I have seen on this forum that Germany does not require one for flights to/from certain countries, but in that case my understanding is that there are bilateral agreements. For flights to/from France you certainly need to file a flight plan AFAIK.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 25 Oct 21:54
LFPT, LFPN

All you need is a flight plan.

Well … you need a flightplan and a plane. :-)

EDLE, Netherlands

Check also how avgas is delivered. Some French airports require the AIR BP or TOTAL fuel cards. Some I have been to have the card machines which are impossible to operate unless you speak French or find somebody who does. The one at Annecy is one example, though the one at Zell am See (Austria) was also impossible to operate without speaking German. Both were AIR BP.

You probaby know this stuff but some time ago I started making some notes on flying within Europe. I am just updating it now.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks guys. It confirmed what i thought. Flight plan is a French requirement.

Concerning the gas, i got the info from a club member. So i decided to get the total air card. Just need a deposit and a sepa bank account. No longer limited to French bank account.
For the language, i am French so i should be fine!

Emmanuel

LFBR

Is it still the same easy procedure to fly into France from another Schengen country? No need to fly via a port of entry, any grass strip is fine?

ESSZ, Sweden

From another Schengen&EU country like Sweden, yes.

Last time this subject came up there were some Belgians from Vlanderen who got erroneous information from French police who told them they needed to fly to a port of entry.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 07 Jun 23:37
LFPT, LFPN

Ok, thanks!

ESSZ, Sweden

Sorry, but I’m not so sure about that. After the terrorist attacks, France had proclaimed the “state of urgency”. This forced us to go through a Customs check before leaving France as well as when entering France (to or from Schengen states). In fact, it was a police check but performed by Customs.
“Urgency” was stopped in last November but it’s hard to know if this constraint was simply withdrawn or if it is now part of the law.
I phoned Chambery Customs, they said in an agressive reply that the risk was still “red”, so we of course had to go through the controls. Grenoble Customs had no idea…

So, I’m gonna write to the chief of DSAC in Lyons (the local DGAC) and we’ll get an answer. I’ll of course let you know.
michel bianco

LFLG - Grenoble le Versoud, France
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message