Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Kastelorizo LGKJ

It’s difficult to get “windshear, downdrafts, severe turbulence, rotors” if there is no wind

It would be useful to know what special precautions the commercial flights take.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I called them and they indicated that the OA Dash doesnt even depart for LGKJ when ANY wind is >20Kts.Of course the limits for SEL should be lower according to pilots experience.Ask Petakas for the accident of a Seneca a few years ago.He knows this guy.They also insisted that by NOTAM you respect their timetable and the need to use the Skyserve handler (for nothing of course).AFISO phone is +30 22460 49502.I resend my favorite foto RWY 31 App.Check the topography and wind interactions.

LGGG

Thank you Medflyer Yes that picture tells a story… Actually not that different to Ikaria

or Leros

or Kalymnos

Is that officially free, or free to Greeks and €200 to everyone else like Astypalea (until someone phoned them up and negotiated it down to about €20 for the foreigners)?

It would be super if we could have an agreement of some sort.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

It’s difficult to get “windshear, downdrafts, severe turbulence, rotors” if there is no wind

Obviously. But here we are discussing a situation with “>10kts from 300° to 030°”.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

MedFlyer wrote:

use the Skyserve handler (for nothing of course)

This meant that everyone pays but you get nothing for that ! The >10Kts- 300-030* were my limits.Of course everyone can try and shoot higher.Kalymnos & Leros are more benign and predictable.

LGGG

Sorry – does that mean there is or isn’t a handling fee for Kastellorizo? Am unclear.

Re winds, agree with Peter that the earlier one arrives the better (along with a phone call to the AFISO of course). Does make booking hotels in advance a bit more of a pain though in case the winds are too strong. Always a problem with GA but given the issues with restricted opening times on top it’s even more so. Though hopefully this is essentially end of season so nobody is there.

Does anyone have a clue what the airport hours will be after 30/09 – because that’s when I’ll be there (just!).

United Kingdom

The way I approach (no pun intended) airports with a lot of turbulence due to hills etc is to fly a steep descent, rather than do what most people do and drag the plane in at a shallow angle (which needs a lot of power). A steep descent uses little power so you have lots of spare power for dealing with wind shear or going around.

Usually one finds the turbulence dies down when one is almost on the tarmac.

Does anyone have a clue what the airport hours will be after 30/09 – because that’s when I’ll be there (just!).

@petakas will know but AFAIK for the very small airports in Greece the opening times are made up according to the commercial flight schedules, which are decided by the commercial carriers. The airport opens 1hr before arrival and closes 1hr after departure.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

@petakas will know

No I don’t because its as you said, per airline schedule.

@Stodge if you check LGKJ NOTAMs you will see they have the airport email there in the one about PNR etc.
You can use this any time and ask them.
I would not do it more than few weeks earlier though so as to have more reliable data.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Thanks – that’s prob the best way. I was also going to check October timetables for Olympic but with several pinches of sceptical salt.

United Kingdom

I’m finally starting more detailed planning for my trip from Denham to Kastelorizo in my Cessna 182 in late Sept/early Oct and I’d hugely appreciate it if anybody has the latest info on the following (non-Fraport – I hope!) Greek airports. (Though I have an instrument rating I think I’ll probably go VFR, if the weather allows, to save on what looks like some pretty chunky slot fees!).

Anyway: the Greek part of the plan is to route via the following (from Portoroz):

Ioannina as port of entry and exit on the home leg. Do they have AVGAS/customs/require PPR and/or handling? Also are there slot fees to be paid (and slots to be booked) just in case I have to arrive IFR? Any idea of up-to-date costs?

Sitia – likewise AVGAS/requite PPR and/or handling? Ditto costs?

Kasos/Karpathos/Kastelorizo – I know these are non-customs and non-Avgas but again is handling and/or PPR needed, and – again – any idea of costs?

Finally is Megara a good option for AVGAS? And is it expensive to land/park overnight there?

Greece looks amazing but is quite a minefield (and a potentially costly one) as my partner and I realise as we start to consider all the flying options (and check out all those weird airport opening/closing times!). Any help with building this jigsaw would be a great boon. We are 100% determined to do this trip!

Thanks in advance!

Stodge

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message