Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying trip California

Hi

In May I will go on holiday to California. During the holiday I would like to make a flying trip starting San Fransico bay area.

I’m still looking for a flight school which will rent me an aircraft (C172 or C182) for five days. Does anyone have a good suggestions? I already have contact with Aerodynamic Aviation in San Jose, but haven’t heard back from them (yet). I would like to keep my options open ;-)

I’m planning to go to Death Valley (Furnace Creek), Las Vegas and Grand Canyon. Does anyone have other suggestion or airports to visit?

Any suggestion is very much appreciated.

jkv
EHEH

San Diego Montgomery, Chino (Planes of fame), Catalina (scenic), Santa Barbara, Santa Ynez (visit Solvang – a “Danish” town, and the vineyards), Monterey, North Lake Tahoe, Castle (former SAC base, very long rwy, airplane museum), Harris Ranch (for lunch or dinner : park the plane and walk to the restaurant for some of the best meat in CA).

Palm Springs may be an interesting experience.

At Las Vegas prefer North Las Vegas over McCarran which is quite expensive and FBO do not waive their fee although you buy their expensive fuel.

AFAIR at Furnace Creek there is nothing in the immediate vicinity of the airfield although there is supposed to be a golf nearby. The biggest attraction is that it is below sea level – like Schiphol. When in Death Valley I used to land at Shoshone. There is a diner right next to the airfield.

Napa Valley for wine.

Hearst Castle used to (still may) have an airfield but I got the impression it was private use only.

That is what I could think of off the bat…

LFPT, LFPN

Thank you for the suggestions. I will go google them.

jkv
EHEH

If you have time to take a longer route to Vegas. Santa Monica airport. Pretty busy airspace in L.A but cool place.

I parked at Henderson airport a couple nights in Vegas. Great place, pretty cheap and GA friendly (treated like a king even if the Cessna i came in was in very bad shape and really ugly next to the bizjets at the parking ;) ).

Also flew to Grand Canyon West, landing fee included if you take the tour.

Jonas

Last Edited by Jonas at 20 Jan 22:30
ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Catalina is a must.

Henderson best for Vegas.

Montgomery for San Diego

If you want San Francisco land at Oakland not SFO.

EGTK Oxford

Catalina is indeed well worth seeing.

Big Bear if you’d like to try a 7600 ft airport.

Montgomery in San Diego is a relatively boring business airport with no ground transport. Stop at Gillespie instead where the aeronautical scenery is better, then walk through the fence from the west side transient area to the train that takes you downtown and back every half hour for ~$5 round trip.

Van Nuys is where Hollywood types are often based, and has a decent hotel with free parking for your plane.

Paso Robles is popular for weekend flights with spouse. Paso Robles Jet Center is very helpful. Rental car will be brought to the plane and you can then drive around scenic wine growing areas to sample the product. Cambria is a scenic town on the coast nearby, with good restaurants. Highly recommended.

Have fun!

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 Jan 23:26

Shelter Cove Airport is one of the most beautiful in CA. Truckee Airport and the whole Lake Tahoe area is very pretty. Best restaurant on the airport in the LA area is Camarillo. Get’s real busy at the weekends, so be prepared to wait. If you ever venture to Arizona, Sedona Airport is extremely pretty and has one of the best restaurants on it. Excellent.

I live and fly here so just ask if you need any more recommends. Flying in the US, and especially the West Coast, is excellent. So much to see, such beautiful and varied scenery and excellent airports. ATC is also very professional without the lip and impatience you get on the East Coast.

I’m currently living and flying from the Bay area, with my aircraft based at Hayward.

West Valley club at KSQL and KPAO seem to have a large fleet and may be able to help. Livermore has a few options as well; the Particles club is good value for regular renters, but may not suit a short visit.

You’ve had some good suggestions already for places to visit. I might add a few others to consider:

Columbia to see the old gold mining town.
Oceano and Monterey Bay Academy (closed Saturdays) have good beech access and I’d second Shelter Cove.
Lake Tahoe is worth a visit. S Lake Tahoe is closest though Carson and Minden are easier to access, but you would need to rent a car.
Kern Valley is a beautiful location. They used to rent old american cars. I’m not sure if that’s still available.

When I was based in L.A. my regulars were Catalina, Big Bear, Camarillo, Santa Paula amongst others.

For Death Valley, Furnace Creek has the Fuel and local facilities, but Stovepipe Wells is worth a visit to see Mosaic Canyon and the Mesquite dunes. The Chicken Strip in Saline Valley is great, but the rental people probably wouldn’t like you landing there!

One way or another you should find plenty to fill a week or two’s vacation

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

If you want San Francisco land at Oakland not SFO.

I did not include any Bay Area airport since the OP was going to rent in the bay Area. But if I should recommend airports close to San Francisco, I would stay clear of KOAK. Too many people in uniform with over-inflated egos since 9/11. Hayward is definitely an alternative (that’s where I did my IR) – there is a BART station nearby. Otherwise San Carlos or Palo Alto. Walnut Creek is farther but there is BART. Same thing at Livermore.

And regarding Lake Tahoe – sorry – I meant South Lake Tahoe.

Columbia to see the old gold mining town.

I second that. Town is in walking distance from the airfield.

Cambria is a scenic town on the coast

If you plan to visit Hearst Castle – or see it from the air – that would be an alternative to the private strip at Hearst Castle. I do not even know whether it is possible to obtain permission to land there.

Edit: Too bad

Last Edited by Aviathor at 21 Jan 10:27
LFPT, LFPN

Many thanks for the suggestions. I will investigate them.

I will only rent the aircraft for 6 days. Otherwise the misses will complain ;-) So I need to find a good combination between leasure and flying. Las Vegas is the only fixed location we want to go to. I was actually looking for a ranch air strip, where my girlfriend would be able to do some horseback riding. Unfortunately I was not able to find an airstrip which suits both these qualifications and also offers accommodation. Does anyone know if such a place in California/Nevada exists?

@Silvaire I did my flying training at Gillispie Field. It is indeed very convenient to go to the city center with the tram. Met many nice aviation minded people.

jkv
EHEH
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message