Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying under controlled airspace with limits AGL - Spain in particular

@Lenthamen

It may have been that you were within the Schiphol CTR that runs to 3.000 ft?

Just like to say a big thankyou to all who replied, great to get info from those pilots who have actually done this kind of flying!

Just one more question (promise!)

Looking to file a flightplan from skydemon but it only provides one address which is clearly wrong.

How would you address a flightplan from La Rochelle to Valencia for example? This is our second leg after EGCV - La Rochelle.

I have searched the web but not come up with a viable answer.

Thanks

Phil

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

I don't think it is wrong. It all depends on which country you are departing from and what is written in that country's AIP. In the case of France, AFAIK, they practise "indirect filing" which means that fpls shall be sent to their AIS service, which will then take care to distribute it to all stations concerned.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

All Eurocontrol countries use only one address for flight plan filing.

I think he is talking VFR.

Phil

1) VFR restrictions: it's a spreading disease in Spain. Definitely Malaga, Ibiza, Palma, Tenerife Sur (and, of course Madrid and Barcelona who are off-limits anyway for all practical purposes). As I say, just check the NOTAMs

2) Flightplan. Well I would just walk into the office at La Rochelle or wherever and - drum roll - file the flight plan! Done. I have no experience whatsoever with Skydemon. As alternative you could use Homebriefing, but I'm not sure about their current status. In any case, the Spanish controller may or may not get this (VFR) plan, in my experience it tends to work. You may, however, get a different squawk code at the FIR boundary.

3) Valencia fuel: go to the gas station immediately after arrival. This is - frustratingly - right outside the GA terminal and the ARO. You won't be allowed to park there (despite space for the entire BA 747 fleet), but at least you got that out of the way. Otherwise you have to do the shuttle from your parking (and you'll see immediately why I bang on about that when you get there!) again the next day. Also, if they don't send you a 'follow me' car to take you to the parking, request one or have a very good look at the airport diagram, this is a LONG and usually rather complicated way.

Have fun!

How would you address a flightplan from La Rochelle to Valencia for example? This is our second leg after EGCV - La Rochelle.

I have some notes on online flight plan filing here.

If you are a UK pilot, you can use the AFPEX tool, which provides a very simple function for sticking a flight plan directly into the AFTN system. I used it the other day to file a VFR FP for somebody else and was amazed to find that they recently changed it to automatically generate the VFR addresses!

Otherwise, there are a number of services which can file a flight plan e.g. EuroFPL, RocketRoute, even the old Homebriefing.com, and there are some flight planning apps e.g. Skydemon which have a facility for filing a flight plan.

The traditional way, which works everywhere (except in the UK where it supposedly works but some airfields don't like it) is to hand in the handwritten flight plan for to the man in the tower and let him deal with it

All Eurocontrol countries use only one address for flight plan filing.

For IFR only.

go to the gas station immediately after arrival.

Standard advice for ALL flying

Some other "operational" tips here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Lenthamen It may have been that you were within the Schiphol CTR that runs to 3.000 ft?

Negative, I was flying SPY-LLS at 2000ft (which is class A) when I cancelled IFR while cleared to resume at that altitude. I wasn't asked to change the squawk code, so I was a bit in a grey area...

BTW, your previous post sounded like they cancelled your IFR without your explicit consent. ATC is not supposed to do that.

Interesting...

Normally I file using SkyDemon (VFR) and it auto-populates the addresses, but with the La Rochelle - Valencia route it just placed LFBDZPZX in the addressing which didn't make much sense to me, so I am thinking of putting LaRochelle, Biarritz, Pamploma, Zaratoga and Valencia manually into the addressing

anybody have any views on this ?

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR
Sign in to add your message