Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying VFR in rain: how much is too much?

The airplane leaks on one side, so keeping one wet and one dry should do
Can fly IMC but not legally outside the UK in that specific aircraft (can fly IFR but the AI seems tilted to me and ADF wakes up in 3nm range)

Good point on being able to see runway at minimas, irrespective of visibility you need to fly straight and level
Is this why sometimes visibility limits (e.g. RVR) you find in Aerodrome/Ops may exceeds those required for Pilots/FCL (e.g. VFR 1.5km vis)?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The min vis for VFR is now 1500m

Depends… The basic min vis according to SERA is 5000 m. Individual countries may reduce this to not less than 1500 m as long as the speed is 140 KIAS or less. E.g. Sweden allows 1500 m in the traffic circuit and 3000 m otherwise.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The UK in class G airspace allows 1500m below 140kt and 3000 feet. It’s 5km in controlled airspace (although down to 1500m under SVFR).

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

The UK in class G airspace allows 1500m below 140kt and 3000 feet. It’s 5km in controlled airspace (although down to 1500m under SVFR).

In class G-airspace in the UK (less than 3000ft/140kts),
- EASA PPL 1.5km (SERA)
- UK NPPL 5 km and UK PPL 3 km (ANO restrictions) but reduced to [old 1.8km/now 1.5km] if one holds IMCR, but you need may need IFR and Annex II aircraft to make proper use of it
- ICAO PPL 1.5 km and FAA PPL 1.6 km?

In CAS, you will be surprised that in some controlled zones you need 10km visibility on a UK NPPL/PPL to get a SVFR (I guess that assumption in the ANO drafting was to persuade lot of people to get an IMCR at the time? or just not to go there?)

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Aug 16:45
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Why do you assume that rain, even heavy must be IMC? Clouds can be at 5000’ while you fly at 3000’. Does it make it illegal VFR?

Ben wrote:

Why do you assume that rain, even heavy must be IMC? Clouds can be at 5000’ while you fly at 3000’. Does it make it illegal VFR?

Not the cloudbase, but poor visibility could make it illegal.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 21 Aug 19:57
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In Ireland, rain tends to come in two forms.

1. Widespread rain covering a very wide area, with a uniform stratus base. Outside the area of the rain, the cloud base isn’t much different….it’s just not raining.
2. Showers with plenty of gaps in between. The showers tend to be very heavy.

I never fly in the first one, because the cloud base is usually very low (maybe 500ft) and there is nowhere to go to get out of it.

The second one is usually much more manageable. The showers are generally easy to see and avoid. I’m usually happy to fly in this weather as I can go around the showers and the cloud base is usually good outside the showers. They don’t tend to cover a huge geographical area.

So for me, rain doesn’t usually end a flight. It’s usually the cloud base that does it!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

The former is probably a warm front and that tends to produce OVC005-OVC008 sort of conditions, with drizzle or worse, and hands around for ages (slow moving).

The latter is convective weather and you tend to get higher cloudbases – 1000ft and sometimes a lot more.

The above is just about all my Met knowledge. All the rest you get from the internet

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

In CAS, you will be surprised that in some controlled zones you need 10km visibility on a UK NPPL/PPL to get a SVFR (I guess that assumption in the ANO drafting was to persuade lot of people to get an IMCR at the time? or just not to go there?)

I always thought that was really bizarre: making SVFR minima much higher than normal VFR minima! (I guess partly the usefulness of SVFR was to go to the Channel Islands, which at the time – also bizarrely – were class A down to the surface).

Andreas IOM
making SVFR minima much higher than normal VFR minima!

Is this still the case? I thought that went long ago.

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message