Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying VFR through Belgium and Germany

Ibra wrote:

Probably off topic: any idea of nice VFR airstrips to visit around the area?

Koblenz EDRK is also very scenic and a nice 20 minute hop from EDKB.

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

Thanks for the suggestions, will try Spa & Achen as they seem well located around the place on a 3 day weekend trip
Looks by design Belgian airspace is more toward VFR on very low level routes so more chance to see stuff than a direct in in CAS

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Looks by design Belgian airspace is more toward VFR on very low level routes

Only if you want to fly VFR OCAS.

Here in the UK it would be pretty “exciting” to fly at 1000ft. In some places it would be like “missile alley”. Maybe Belgium has less traffic down there? I would never do this unless I really wanted low level sightseeing / photos.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I had regular look to FR24 & PlaneFinder around the area, yes it seems less exciting than 1000ft along London M25 (in the air you spot 3, later evening on pc screen you spot 20, I always wondred why do LARS “controllers” just keep it quiet?), this is counter-intuitive as what you see in radar/fr24 screens is probably 1/3 of what is out there?

I flew few legs at 500ft-1000ft mainly in France but all of them were less than 1h, it is not something I will try on long touring legs but for short low VFR OCAS you will have less things to do inside so more time to look ahead and around, I did not even need to switch the fuel tank, something you should do when going to Greece…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

this is counter-intuitive as what you see in radar/fr24 screens is probably 1/3 of what is out there?

Non Mode S traffic will correlate heavily with low level VFR traffic.

Flying high across Belgium (and elsewhere), as airways describes above is much less stress free.

Administrator

The OP states he’ll fly an SR22T. Fly that plane where it belongs: in the flight levels

EBST, Belgium

Planning a trip VFR from near Dusseldorf to UK. What is the best height / procedure to get through the airspace jungle of Belgium via Bruxelles to Calais?

Thanks for any tip.

This topic was discussed a month ago, see here.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Posts moved to existing thread.

Administrator

thanks, Peter and Ultra

20 Posts
Sign in to add your message