Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying weather NW Europe this weekend

Hello,

I was planning a VFR flight this weekend from Teuge EHTE to Autun LFQF and back from Friday to Saturday or Sunday. What kind of sources do you use to get some insight in the weather for the longer term?

Happy flying,

Mark

EHTE, Netherlands

For longer range you have either the US GFS model, or the European pressure charts of which I use the UK ones

Sunday doesn’t look too great…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks! I’ve been searching for those on the dutch aviation weather page of the Dutch Met Office, couldn’t find any.

EHTE, Netherlands

It would be nice if there was a proper source for these, in the proper sequence. If you search here on

MSLP

you will find e.g. this

I use a paid site (avbrief.com) to get these charts. The basic sub doesn’t cost much.

MWIS is still there but they often offered older versions than one could get elsewhere (for a given date) which is a bit naughty.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Sunday doesn’t look too great…

Depends on where you will be

LFPT, LFPN

I think a flight from Friday to Saturday is in the realm of possibilities. I’ll have a chat with the Met Office this evening and check again tomorrow.

EHTE, Netherlands

Hi Bobo, I always use the Ogimet forecast maps for long term weather forecasts.
http://ogimet.com/tabla_pred.phtml?lang=en

Choose “Central Europe” → S(urface).

Friday and Saturday look fine. Sunday there is a low pressure system moving east that doesn’t look nice:

Thanks, looks very useful!

EHTE, Netherlands

What does “Cloud Cover” mean in that Ogimet chart? Is a thin layer of cloud at 20,000ft shown the same as a layer from 100ft exending up to 10,000ft?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Yes; a good question! This is AFAIK how GFS works. For example this very old “GFS portal” – the READY site can produce the following, showing the “total cloud cover”

I don’t think those OGIMET pressure charts are useful because they don’t show fronts, so they require really expert interpretation.

Administrator
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message