Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is a HI-ILS or HI-LOC

Peter wrote:

What kind of receiver would support this I have no idea. I’ve not heard of any “GA” product which does TACAN

The distance part of a TACAN is a regular DME, so you have that at least.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

tschnell wrote:

that would be a ROD of -5000 fpm. Quite impressive…

What’s the issue when pressurized? I’m sure they can do much more than that.

On something like a DA42 as long as your ears don’t bleed you can go pretty down very fast with gear down and engines idling

Last Edited by Noe at 19 Oct 11:39

Hello!

I’ve performed that approach several times in the past.

It’s a High TACAN Approach ending on an ILS app.

You’d be flying at FL200/300KIAS direct to the IAF.

After leaving the IAF (TBC R087/35), set your QNH, turn left heading 232º, set a 10º nose dive and speedbrake out (all at the same time while you are calling ATC: “Mago21 leaving the fix, FL200 QNH1008”. You will looking at 300KIAS on the descend while intercepting CRS 308 towards TBC. ROD is not accurate since your VSI goes max to 6000fpm and you are descending well beyond that so keep your 300KIAS and 10º dive.

Do not descend below 4500’ until established on the inbound radial and you’ve passed 17NM TBC inbound, then continue descending to 3000’. At 3000’ leave the speedbrake out as required and let the airspeed drop to 240KIAS, passing 250KIAS set flaps to the LE position.
Now change your CDI from TAC to ILS, maintain 240KIAS and when reaching 9.3NM lower the gear and flaps to the full position. Check flaps full and three greens, you are 7.3NM start your descend with the glide and call ATC: “Mago21 on gate, gear down and locked for full stop”.

This approach is for MIL ONLY, we used to fly this approach because it’s more fuel efficient, specially when expecting a delay (FFlow could be 2 times at low level) and because when we were expecting icing condtions at low levels, we were able to cross the icing levels without having to stop in them nor holding at them.

This is the most I remember from the good old days flying the F-5 in western Spain.

Regards!

Speed

Don't get too slow
LECU, Spain

Cool story speed and interesting! Thanks for sharing‘

always learning
LO__, Austria

speed wrote:

ROD is not accurate since your VSI goes max to 6000fpm

Nice number for me to fail on an IR skill-test

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

A tad steep indeed but still a long way from the ultimate HI approach… unfortunately that one does not exist anymore for lack of vehicles in airworthy condition. But it has it’s moments trying to fly that.

There is a fun android app which has a very accurate HUD so you can try it for yourself. F-Sim Space shuttle, carefull addictive!

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 27 Nov 13:25
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message