Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

London - Graz VFR

Belgium is max FL190 for VFR and not a big problem.
Germany if you are in altitudes like this Germany will not pose a problem. FL240 is possible VFR, depending on the controller.
In Austria you have to decent anyway.

I regularly fly from UK to Germany and back at those levels.

United Kingdom

mdoerr wrote:

In Austria you have to decent anyway.

Why?

EDLE

Snoopy wrote:

How does one get special authorization for VFR above FL195?

In the UK, it seems only gliders or military do fly VFR in class C airspace above FL195 on specific zones (TRAs) when these gets notified, see UK AIP ENR 5.2 and ENR 6.3

So not sure how this will works for a high altitude VFR route as it will put you above most low level London airways traffic?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The 195+ part would be after coasting out I guess.

always learning
LO__, Austria

On the outbound southeast you will stay under Worthing CTA class A which crunch you bellow FL75 but heading north east there should be no class A limits, once in France you may get a similar “restrictions” on acess to airspace above FL195 but at least in France the concept of a class A rooftop is not that popular

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

europaxs wrote:

Why?

To land at the destination.
Generally I don’t know of any restrictions in Austria for vfr higher up.

always learning
LO__, Austria

There are a few lower Class A spots (2500+) around the bigger LON airports. Is London Control FIS 126,4 a good place to ask for frequencies to transit active airspaces?

always learning
LO__, Austria

I’ve never asked for VFR transits in the class A, only in the lower class Ds (where VFR is permitted)
I look at skydemon what the frequencies of the CTRs are
For City EGLC and Heathrow EGLL, I normally ask on 125.625
For Gatwick EGKK, 126.825
Stansted EGSX 120.625
Luton EGGW 129.550

Noe wrote:

I’ve never asked for VFR transits in the class A,

By definition of class A, any request for VFR transit should be rejected.

Interestingly it seems that special VFR in class A control zones is, in principle, permitted. The SERA paragraphs about special VFR make no mention of airspace class.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 25 Oct 13:50
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Snoopy wrote:

There are a few lower Class A spots (2500+) around the bigger LON airports. Is London Control FIS 126,4 a good place to ask for frequencies to transit active airspaces?

The part of the London TMA (or LTMA) with a floor at 2500’ or 3500’ is quite large. And except making the people on frequency smile, asking London Info won’t get you any transit.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message