Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

One reason for a displaced threshold

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would be worried if it stays there longer but in the other hand another reason to have a train station nearby?

Don’t use the train to mark your head and cross winds though !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Its more of a problem with 3.75 reds

My former homebase EDWF has the same situation with railway tracks right in front of the 08 threshold, but there is no displacement. The train drivers (local freight train line) would usually take care not to park the train in front of the runway, but sometimes they did it anyways. Good thing the runway has 1200 m. And the PAPI never worked properly during my PPL training there.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

From the EGAE AIP entry:

A single-track railway line passes through the overrun RESA for Runway 08, and approach RESA for Runway 26. An
ATC operated railway signal system is used to stop trains under normal conditions as follows:

(i) Landing Aircraft
(1) Public transport aircraft landing on Runway 26 or Runway 08 priority is given to the aircraft and trains are
stopped.
(2) General aviation aircraft landing on Runway 26 or Runway 08 priority is given to the train. Aircraft will be delayed
for up to 5 minutes.

(ii) Departing Aircraft
(1) For all departures from Runway 08 or Runway 26 priority is given to the passing train ATC will sequence
movements accordingly, delays of up to 5 minutes may be experienced.

EIMH, Ireland

Some 50 years ago a railway line went straight across the runway of Visby (ESSV) airport. ATC controlled train movements across the airport.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A quick search reveals FMSK Manakara airport in Madagascar and NZGS Gisborne airport in NZ to have a railway cross the runway.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

When was the railway line across the ramp at Le Touquet last used ?

I think many decades ago, looking at the condition of the buffer stops. Some stuff on google indirectly suggests c. 1956 and maybe a bit after that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Another reason for a displaced threshold.

22 Posts
Sign in to add your message