Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

One reason for a displaced threshold

There must be some people on those trains at Shoreham who complain when a plane looks like it’s going straight for it… I got told off once for going below the PAPIs (in VMC) while a train was passing by; to be honest I had been given a “land after” clearance and I was very focused on not being high and fast, but I can see how seen from the train (which had passed by the time I was over the track) it could be a bit stressful.

EGTF, LFTF

A good reason I once saw while landing in Tucson, Arizona, is that the runway was equipped with an arrestor cable for military jets. The cable crossed the runway in the displaced area. I would not have wanted the wheels of the 182 tangled up in that!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

I got told off once for going below the PAPIs (in VMC) while a train was passing by; to be honest I had been given a “land after” clearance and I was very focused on not being high and fast

It is interesting how often pilots fly the PAPIs in a single. I think it is better to be above, and of course if you are below on a displaced threshold it sought of potentially disregards the whole point of the displacement.

A good reason I once saw while landing in Tucson, Arizona, is that the runway was equipped with an arrestor cable for military jets. The cable crossed the runway in the displaced area. I would not have wanted the wheels of the 182 tangled up in that!

In the last few weeks I have seen two arrestor wire installations (Karpathos LGKP and Badajoz LEBZ) and in both cases the wire appeared to be lying on the tarmac. I don’t think those two would have caught anything. The one at LGKP you actually drive over in a normal landing – quite a hard bump.

It is interesting how often pilots fly the PAPIs in a single

I just knew I should have photoshopped them But normally I am well above them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

He, he – yes indeed, but you would have been disappointed if it hadnt been mentioned. All the times I have been dragging it in, I am the last to have mentioned it. Trouble is in twins you should probably fly the PAPIs, but old habits die hard.

I have landed at a few gliding sites and always paranoid about the wires.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 24 Oct 14:16

Unfortunately I don’t have a picture of the landing, but Aveiro / LPAV in Portugal has a note to the effect of ‘caution, ships up to 100ft tall in approach path’. And voila! Sure enough, on downwind saw a container ship stately sailing through the channel that links the port (in a lagoon) to the ocean. Extended downwind and landed behind the container ship ;-))

Negligible chance that a train and a plane will be there at the same time…

Archie wrote:

Negligible chance that a train and a plane will be there at the same time…

That happened three times during my PPL training at Leer-Papenburg EDWF. One time the train was actually parked in front of the threshold. EDWF does not have a displaced threshold.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

172driver wrote:

Extended downwind and landed behind the container ship

That must have been a hell of a wake turbulence…

Pilot-H wrote:

That must have been a hell of a wake turbulence…

In water?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message