Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying over fog

Peter wrote:

But not (what I thought was) fog.

Having lived in Milan for a year or so, I can assure you that the fog in the ‘pianura padana’ can linger for weeks and cover huge areas. Not pleasant at all. North of the Alps it tends not be as persistent but can also hang around for a couple of days.

How we deal with risk is for a large part based on our personality. Some omit risks, others take calculated risks (many pilots) and others have not a big problem with taking risks. In the end, you can decide to stay home or fly and run some form of risk. How much you feel comfortable with depends for a large part on your personality.

EDLE, Netherlands

It should also depend a lot on what you are flying

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AeroPlus wrote:

Some omit risks, others take calculated risks (many pilots) and others have not a big problem with taking risks

Excatly. I can, probably, put myself in the second category. The question that makes the difference for me in this topic is that there is no plan B. I was taught from the very beginning to have always a plan B, and flying half an hour or more with no escape in case of failure is what makes me unconfortable. Even in mountains you can try to save your day when the engine quits, but over fog…

LECU - Madrid, Spain

172driver wrote:

Having lived in Milan for a year or so, I can assure you that the fog in the ‘pianura padana’ can linger for weeks and cover huge areas.

And in Spain, you’ve flown here, we have two big plateau where fog can be present also for several days in a row.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

I have no problem with flying in mountains, nor ditching in Scottish winter water. But I have turned back because there was no way to avoid flying over fog. And lochs with the possibility of snow over thin ice are also avoided.
PS I’m a 77 year old male.
“For instance, the MTBF of a 70 year old male is what? a couple of weeks? I mean seriously .”
Thank you LeSving.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message