Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is it ever too cold aloft / what to expect from the cabin heater?

When flying back from Brittany to Stuttgart last Wednesday we had -18 degrees Celsius at FL 110. At this outside temperature no chance for the cabin to heat up. This we could feel especially when coming into the clouds without the sun shining on our faces anymore. But as we have been on the market in the morning, for the transport of the fish we bought, it was excellent, no ice needed.

EDDS , Germany

When I was flying the F33A I noticed by accident that running the engine at 2500rpm instead of the usual 2300rpm did really help with the heating. But still after a ski trip I would just keep the ski gear on in the plane for the winter night flight home.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

When I was flying the F33A I noticed by accident that running the engine at 2500rpm instead of the usual 2300rpm did really help with the heating.

In fact our engine is running really cool, so although we use 2500rpm usually at this altitude (especially with headwinds to be as fast as possible), the effect of heating is near to zero. But warm clothes like ski gear helps a lot.

EDDS , Germany

Is there a good reason why twins don’t use engine heat for the cabin?

You would only need to run a pipe of 2-3m, say 5cm diameter, from each engine, which is trivial, and far less troublesome than the Janitrol heaters.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Is there a good reason why twins don’t use engine heat for the cabin?

They use e.g. DA42 uses left engine for windshield heating and right engine to heat the cabin. However, due to using heat exchanges, loses in transport and poor insulation, it’s not very efficient.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
125 Posts
Sign in to add your message