Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Task saturation entering IMC

I assume you were referring to my post?

No. Sorry “op” = original post(er). ie the first post in the thread.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I get rather frustrated when someone hits AP ‘on’ without first confirming what it is set to do!

This is greatly assisted by flight director. If you see that the command bars are right underneath the aircraft symbol, then it’s going to keep going on its current trajectory.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Indeed it is. It still doesn’t stop them pressing the button! :)

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Some seem to be able to hand fly in IMC for extended periods of time :

Please don’t bash him, he is my American idol :)

LFOU, France

Peter wrote:

That’s a good video. Many thanks for posting it.

Yeah, we have all been there. It is damn hard to fly a plane in IMC and do the radio at the same time

Also, when you are under real pressure, it is hearing which gets shut down first.

Thanks Peter, glad you enjoyed the video! This is just a taster for the full video; set for release Thursday.

It’s an enjoyable feat though!

Michael_J wrote:

Reminds me of my first MEPL/IR skill test with “engine failure” right after take off …

That must have been a huge brain fart! I guess that was a real one? New’s on the grapevine was someone lost the Attitude indicator on the MEP IR test, elected to continue and passed.

Ibra wrote:

Personally, for post-flight debriefs unlike VFR flying, I found that most of the times I don’t remember any of it but I am sure I was busy doing the right things (not sure how many experience/currency hours one needs before things go relaxed again??)

These video’s definitely make me a better pilot. As I’ve posted previously, I am well up for constructive feedback. Likewise unless it was noteworthy, I don’t remember half the stuff unless I look back over it.

JasonC wrote:

I actually think the situation in the video is a common memory issue. When not overloaded we can remember several things. A lot was provided in the radio call, a direct, a sqawk, an approach an altitude and a QNH.

That is not really fair to the pilot and when hand flying is quite a lot to take in unless you are very well practiced at doing it.

One thing I don’t get is how us subscribing to your videos makes you a better pilot. Maybe a wealthier one.

It was quite a busy part of the flight and I should have been a little bit more prepared for it. I guess I should have completed the aviate, navigate part before communicating. Fly the airplane into the weather, navigate on track SORDI then communicate with ATC. All items occurred at once :(

On the last one, I don’t make money from my videos. I don’t get enough views to hit the new YouTube partner rules; either way I don’t think flying videos generate enough views to generate significant income. I did work out though using some statistics online that some of the big well known aviation YouTube stars probably make £1000 per month from adverts.

But the whole idea behind these videos is education for me, and I welcome feedback on my flying skills or suggestions of videos to film.

Regarding the replies to the Autopilot.

I wasn’t taught my IMC with an Autopilot, but have used it a fair bit since I started flying the DA40. I was trained with the statement “That if you put shit in, you get shit out with the autopilot.” Conversely with the aircraft I fly it has no auto-throttle, although I don’t know many light GA aircraft that do. Even the Boeing 747’s in my old job that I’ve FD jump-seated, the manual control over the throttle was used. Half the time it was more stable for the turbulent flying.

Digressing a little, but I was taught to write things down bit by bit and continue the panel scan. A matter of seconds and you can be in an unusual attitude, especially when flying in some precipitation bearing scud or cumuliform type. But with a radio call that long, it’s impractical to write except scribble the details and remember the most important bits.

I.e. QNH, altitude, heading/direct and type of service.

I guess except the level flight sections of an IR during the en-route phase you can’t use the autopilot? The IMCr had no en-route phases from what I remember.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

Some seem to be able to hand fly in IMC for extended periods of time :

Please don’t bash him, he is my American idol :)

Practice really does make perfect.

EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

I wasn’t taught my IMC with an Autopilot, but have used it a fair bit since I started flying the DA40. I was trained with the statement “That if you put shit in, you get shit out with the autopilot.” Conversely with the aircraft I fly it has no auto-throttle, although I don’t know many light GA aircraft that do. Even the Boeing 747’s in my old job that I’ve FD jump-seated, the manual control over the throttle was used. Half the time it was more stable for the turbulent flying.

Autothrottle is irrelevant. Light jets don’t have them. Learn to use the autopilot. It will make your flying easier and more enjoyable.

EGTK Oxford

One of the most valuable phases to be learned when communicating with ATC is “standby” especially when hand flying in IMC. Communicate with ATC when you are ready and have enough mental capacity. I lost my A/P recently on a flight back to my home base. It was VMC but the workload does increase. I still used ALT pre select, heading BUG and VS so that I could fly the Flight Director bars.

Last Edited by Rob2701 at 20 Nov 09:36
EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Timothy wrote:

I think that the biggest problem with IR training is that so little weight is given to the autopilot.

It is, after all, how 99% of IFR flying is done, and lack of knowledge and skill in autopilot usage is a big killer of IFR pilots; yet the training and examination community still pretend it doesn’t exist. Also, you get people, with brains smaller than the genitals they pretend to have, all over the junior forums saying that real men don’t use autopilots.

The solution to the op’s dilemma is to engage the autopilot, thus releasing a huge amount of brainpower, and both hands, being wasted on doing a job that that can be done far better by automation.

I 100% second this. You’d be (are?) an excellent IFR Instructor conveying this to students.
Maximum use of equipment is also a skill.
As Jason said, learning to use the autopilot is key for IFR flying. There is a difference between using it and relying on it, but that’s taken care of during initial flight training (at least it should be).

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

I 100% second this. You’d be (are?) an excellent IFR Instructor conveying this to students.
Maximum use of equipment is also a skill.
As Jason said, learning to use the autopilot is key for IFR flying. There is a difference between using it and relying on it, but that’s taken care of during initial flight training (at least it should be).

Would you not agree that using both skills simultaneously is a far better way of flying, rather than using the autopilot the majority of the time though?

Straight and level flying, you can use the autopilot for that right? But when it comes to the approach phase, the odd hand ball flying would make sure your skills are on point. I get that an autopilot can fly far better than any human can, so long as you use it correctly; but logically for me keeping those skills in top shape are the key to a safe and confident flight.

Personally my French trip f***-up and diversion wasn’t just a get there itis from my passengers but also a lot to do with my confidence and being out of my depth a little, simply due to my currency on the rating making my confidence levels dip.

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 27 Nov 02:16
EGSG, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message