Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

If overwhelmed by other traffic or ATC, should one just "escape" from the circuit?

A 30 degree bank for level turns in the circuit – half rate one turns (I realise 30 degrees is more than rate one), signal indecision in the circuit (leaving, staying, what is that plane up to), in addition 30 degrees makes the aircraft more visible.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Rate 1 if you want it to be ATC-predictible, tight if you don’t want to hit someone and make yourself visible and a big wide circle if you want to just kill time :)

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Jan 18:53
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

None of the above. If there is any wind, the bank angle has to vary so you arrive back roughly where you started the orbit, if you fly a constant angle you will be blown furher downwind (not much of a problem unless orbiting at the end of the downwind leg) and displaced towards or away from the runway (which can become a problem, especially if blown towards it)

It is a great opportunity to practice an exercise not in the EASA, but inthe FAA syllabus – “turns around a point”, where you steepen the angle when flying oit of the wind and flatten it when flying into wind.

TLDR version: look out of the window and use a safe and comfortable bank angle (max 30) don’t stare at the instruments.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 21 Jan 06:32
Biggin Hill

Here is the link to the FAA ground reference manoeuvres – at typical circuit altitudes the bank angles for turning on a point (but not a pivot turn) are quite subtle.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook/media/08_afh_ch6.pdf

One could solve for angle of bank using the rate of turn formulae.

R=V 2/ 11.26tanθ

ω=1,091tanθ/V

The variables used are:
•V = true airspeed in knots
•R = turning radius in feet
•θ = bank angle in degrees
•ω = rate of turn in degrees per second

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Orbiting at the end of Downwind Right 23 at Inverness EGPE, which it is common to have to do while an airliner backtracks, I just look out of window and check altitude occasionally. The wind is blowing me towards the Fort George Danger Area, so looking out to hold position is important.
I’ve never thought of getting out my calculator and practicing mathematics in that situation.
PS the wind is unlikely to be at a steady value during the orbits.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

My answer to the original question is yes, obviously.
If I feel leaving the circuit is necessary for your safety, I do so and tell ATC when I can (because the frequency will be even busier than the circuit).

It happened to me once, at a controlled field near Paris (my then base). It was one of my first flights with first-time flyers.
When I got back to the circuit, I was number 5 I think, but it is a short circuit. The aircraft before in the circuit was a Diamond DA20, I was in a DR400-160 (you bet I still remember the details ) .
Frequency was crazy and I slowed down to below my taught minimums (like 125 kph IIRC). Then I thougt ‘You have been trained to avoid this, let’s get out of there’.
The downwind is next to a restricted area which prevent you to join/exit mid downwind. Without even thinking, I applied power and broke off the circuit towards the overhead and as I was beginning to orbit, I told ATC what I had done and they replied ‘No problem, you may re-enter downwind now’ and I landed safely.
I never had the feeling of doing anything wrong. I would do it again with no doubt

The most surprising was my passenger’s reaction : they loved it ! They felt something was going on and that I kept things in control, which reassured them for next flights.

LFOU, France
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message