Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Procedure turn not required

Peter wrote:

I wonder how many IR instructors and examiners know this?

I’m neither but I knew that on parallel entry to racetrack you had to return to inbound track prior to reaching the fix

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

I wonder how many IR instructors and examiners know this?

I’m certain they know (a). They should know (b). Possibly not (c).

In fact any IR pilot should know (a). If not, they’re going to have real problems flying most racetracks.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 08 Dec 16:16
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Cttime wrote:

In the US we used the acronym SHARPTT supported by the FARs to determine when a procedure turn is not authorized/required.

Never heard of that, but in the US, if a PT or a hold in lieu of a PT (HILPT) is charted, the basic rule is that it must be flown. There are four exceptions to this rule:

1) Vectors to final
2) Charted leg or segment being flown is noted as NoPT
3) Timed approaches
4) Cleared straight in

DME arcs are not explicitly included because they are supposed to indicate NoPT according to charting standards, although some without may occasionally be still found.

Some argue that if flying the PT or HILPT is not necessary if it does not need to be flown. This is a misunderstanding of who the FAA is referring to in 97.3 Symbols and terms used in procedures. It is not the pilot that makes the determination of if it is necessary to reverse direction to establish the aircraft on an intermediate or final approach course, it is the FAA procedure designer. The FAA designer codes the PT following TERPS rules and then an 8260-3 form is submitted as an official attachment as part of a regulation that amends part 97. The 8260-3 goes thru the federal register and the full regulatory process before being published on charts by multiple chart providers. 91.175 (a) directs pilots to use an approach procedure prescribed by part 97, so if it is part of the procedure on the chart, it must be flown. The limitations are listed in 91.175 (j) and prescribe when a PT requires ATC permission and otherwise should not be flown.

There are legal interpretations of this from the FAA general counsel. If the controller deems it unnecessary for flying the PT, all they need to do in their clearance for the approach is use the magic words, cleared straight in. If the pilot deems it unnecessary, they can request straight in.

I have quoted the relevant section of the FAA regulations below:

97.3 Symbols and terms used in procedures*

Procedure turn means the maneuver prescribed when it is necessary to reverse direction to establish the aircraft on an intermediate or final approach course. The outbound course, direction of turn, distance within which the turn must be completed, and minimum altitude are specified in the procedure. However, the point at which the turn may be begun, and the type and rate of turn, is left to the discretion of the pilot.
91.175 Takeoff and landing under IFR.

( a) Instrument approaches to civil airports. Unless otherwise authorized by the FAA, when it is necessary to use an instrument approach to a civil airport, each person operating an aircraft must use a standard instrument approach procedure prescribed in part 97 of this chapter for that airport. This paragraph does not apply to United States military aircraft.

(j) Limitation on procedure turns. In the case of a radar vector to a final approach course or fix, a timed approach from a holding fix, or an approach for which the procedure specifies “No PT,” no pilot may make a procedure turn unless cleared to do so by ATC.
KUZA, United States
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message