Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Inefficient LTMA airspace coordination leading to significant detours

I have often been frustrated by the fact that it is impossible to get any class A clearance between OCK and BIG. Heathrow and Thames Director would not permit any early climb into controlled airspace above 2500 ft from OCK and BIG and require one to leave controlled airspace at BIG when flying in the opposite direction towards OCK. They are very happy to have aircraft at 3,000 and 4,000 ft between BIG and DET, which I believe are the flight levels that have been delegated to Thames Director for Biggin and London City traffic. My conclusion from that has been that this must be due to a standing LOA that the lower levels of controlled airspace are reserved for departing Heathrow and Gatwick traffic. What I don’t get is that there is not any more tactical coordination going on if there is no conflicting traffic, which most of time there isn’t based on FlightRadar data (I think it is safe to assume that almost all LHR and LGW traffic have ADS-B) and leads to inefficiencies. Especially with runway 27L/R in use there is normally no traffic at 3,000 or 4,000 ft.

This flight routing from Farnborough to Biggin below must be a good example of the resultant inefficiency of not letting non-LHR/LGW traffic through the OCK-BIG corridor in class A. At least I feel better that it is also happening to jet traffic. My workaround to that is to transit the corridor in uncontrolled airspace below 2500 ft but I presume most jet aircraft sensibly avoid the corridor given the narrow width and the amount of slow-moving traffic although I have seen a Cessna Citation fly there at 2,000 ft before.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

I bet it must have got something to do with the fact that the radio communications failure procedures for the Heathrow 27L and 09R missed approach procedures are both to track towards EPM NDB at 3,000 ft, which means that landing Heathrow traffic could get into conflict with traffic around OCK if they are going missed.

The LTMA shape has often been discussed, with a lot of people puzzled why FR24 shows traffic mostly elsewhere

Apparently it is based on the SIDs and STARs. These are published because, errrm, they have to be published, even if almost nobody flies them. One NATS ATCO (Heathrow I believe) wrote that if the London airports went “procedural” the capacity would fall to about 20% and the whole system would collapse. So they have a backup (maybe more than one) for the radar network, in case of some big thing like a terrorist attack.

The London Control controllers still routinely assign STARs though…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I do Blackbushe↔Biggin and Fairoaks↔Biggin very often, and also Fairoaks/Blackbushe to Germany and Biggin to Gloucester/Cardiff/Newquay/Ireland, and have been doing so for over 30 years.

I can pretty much guarantee that the airspace between OCK and BIG is not available to low level IFR. It just never happens. They also strongly resist FPLs trying to get round the system, for example EGTF VFR BIG IFR DET (they are wise to that one.)

I think we just have to suck it up. I fly along MiG alley at 2273’ with TAS on and hope for the best. I have done this in executive jets as well as, more recently, fast MEPs, and although a little nerve-racking I have never felt in imminent danger. The worst traffic is that going inbound to the same airfield as you (say Biggin) but 50 knots slower. That’s the guy you’re going to hit, not the one going in the opposite direction at a 320kt closing speed.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Timothy wrote:

I can pretty much guarantee that the airspace between OCK and BIG is not available to low level IFR. It just never happens. They also strongly resist FPLs trying to get round the system, for example EGTF VFR BIG IFR DET (they are wise to that one.)

Interesting, my standard FP route towards Belgian and then German airspace is

OCK/N0140F090 IFR DCT BIG L9 KONAN L607 ARCKY T181 TOBOP …

I have not had anyone complain about that FP. I normally ask Blackbushe to request Farnborough to expect an OCAS IFR departure and coordinate with Thames Director a joining clearance at BIG. But as mentioned above, the earliest I get a climb into the LTMA is at BIG, which matches your experience above. On very windy days with passengers aboard I avoid the OCK-BIG route though and take the standard departure route via GWC as wind shears below 2500 feet can be quite uncomfortable then.

Looks like someone must have been reading this thread as that routing is going to be prohibited starting with the next AIRAC cycle:

6 Posts
Sign in to add your message