Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Winter operations - Ski flying - most suitable aircraft

Is anyone on this forum, who is, or was ski flying ?
What are the best planes for ski flying and why ?
Where are you flying on skis in Europe except Courchevel
Where to get instruction for ski flying ? How long did you need to master the technique ?
I personally landed only on frozen lakes on wheels and is challenging because of the snow which make you lose reference.

ES?? - Sweden

Do you mean ski flying / flying a plane with skis instead of wheels?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I only know of Belluno where the training involves quite extensive experience in both different types of landing strip and types of snow.

The Super Cub 90 is prized because of its 900 lb empty weight, making it the preferred trapper’s aircraft for deeper snow in the USA.

http://www.aeroclubbelluno.org/wordpress/test1__trashed/corso-volo-in-montagna/

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Do you mean ski flying / flying a plane with skis instead of wheels?

Exactly, flying a plane with skis, you may still have the wheels on with some types of skis

RobertL18C wrote:

The Super Cub 90 is prized

Agree than Super Cub with 180 Hp is notorious, but also Maule and Cessna Centurion are well known.

ES?? - Sweden

You can fly ski equipped Jodel Mousquetair’s from both Annemasse and Megeve. Bruno, the CFI at Megeve is happy to meet visiting pilots at Annemasse and fly you up to the mountains from there.

Subject to weather and snow conditions, you can also do glacier landings in the mountains around Megeve.

Lefty
EGLM

Alternatively, you can go to Goose Bay in Labrador where I did most of my ski flying. (Nearly half a century ago).

Lefty
EGLM

For the record, you can fit skis to almost any aircraft. Tail draggers are more common, but I have seen Cessna 172/182 and even a PA 32 Cherokee Six on skis. These days you are more likely to be constrained by regulations, eg is there an existing approved mod or STC to fit them.

Lefty
EGLM

Just east of London, they put D31 Turbulents on Skis, one may have to wait 10 years to get a chance to try it

Last time I remember it was during working day in 2012, previous ones 2010 and 1998…
All you need: good weather, nil wind, snow and a current CRI to teach it ?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Subject etc typos fixed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I can highly recommend Aéroclub des 3 Vallees. Alex Combes used to be based at Courchevel, but in the last few years, the club is based at Albertville.

EDLE, Netherlands
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message