Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Loss of vacuum pump, VMC on top, leads to a fatal crash

would such a product be off good help? costs are very reasionalbe i guess
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/efis10-06727.php?clickkey=2593976

Last Edited by Peter_Paul at 25 Dec 00:31
fly2000

You don’t need this ^ if you have an iPad, ForeFlight and ADS-B. I’ll take a pic next time I fly.

Peter_Paul wrote:

would such a product be off good help?

I have the earlier D1. Yes, it could be very helpful. It will run quite a long time on battery, it will give you a full ADI and particularly at night is very much more readable than conventional backup gyros. It’s also fully portable, you you can take it along from airplane to airplane. It comes with a suction mount which you can attach to a window or larger instrument screen. I have also seen one having a velcro strip on the back and being “glued” to the panel on a prepared spot (as the suction mount will stick the instrument quite far into the cockpit on airplanes like the older Mooney which have no dashboard to speak of).

I have the Aspen, the Dynon D1 and a vaccum ADI in my plane, as I can’t get rid of vaccum anyway as it drives the rear step. Particularly for night flying I would always have the D1 installed and ready for action. Otherwise I carry it in my flight case, where in a case like that Bonanza’s failure on top, I could get it out in no time and have it erected. I definitly like it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

May I remind people that recognition is the key?

If you have “something in the flight bag”, it may be too late. You may well be in a spiral dive before you know you have an AI issue.

I think that an independent AI on the panel, in your scan, is much better. Or a rate based AP which is engaged as you watch the AI topple but the aircraft remain stable.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I wouldn’t disagree and I know you can’t put price on life but it my case money does play its part.

But ikf I can get something that is better, more relaibalbe and cheaper in the long term then its a no brainer.

So when my Vacumn pump is up for repalcement. I’ll drop in what ever is the cheapest/available of a Aerovonics AV-30 or a Garmin G5.

Its not perfect. I’ll still have a TC rather but it should be better than whats in it at present.

this is even certified for N reg and the price is nearly a give away!! to get you out of trouble and back on the ground
https://aerovonics.com/av-20-1

fly2000
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message