Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Loss of vacuum pump, VMC on top, leads to a fatal crash

RobertL18C wrote:

The pilot mentions he is partial panel, which is a pitot static failure, but quite a common confusion. The airlines spend time on unreliable airspeed drills, but not the typical IR course.

They’d better seeing how many of those went down following rather mundane airspeed failures or similar…. even two or three fully servicable attitude indicators did not save some of them…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

& I believe you should have a vacuum back up to your electric AI.

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

I believe you should have a vacuum back up to your electric AI.

Why a vacuum backup specifically?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

One pilot I saw had a G500 installed in his WW2 Mustang, and there was an issue with this because the Mustang’s ground pitch attitude exceeded the G500’s adjustment range.

Things must have moved on from then. The G5 for example doesn’t need anything special doing to it to be mounted in a tailwheel plane. You set it up just as you do for a nosewheel plane and it just works. It still works fine and shows the correct attitude (even before the aligning process has completed) if you power everything up the next time with the tail perched on something to bring the fuselage level.

The G5 IM also says that the device will show a valid attitude even with the loss of air data and GPS data.

Last Edited by alioth at 21 Dec 10:13
Andreas IOM

I’ve had a numerous instrument failures with a one VFR on top and the other in IMC. Suction driven instruments are really not that reliable. I can’t wait till electronic replacements become mainstream.

Hopefully save a few bob in overhaul costs to.

Bathman wrote:

I can’t wait till electronic replacements become mainstream.

Eh? Electronic replacements can already be cheaper than fixing an AI. Possibly not quite as cheap as fixing a vacuum pump, but why pour money into obsolescent technology.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Because I have insufficient money in the first place. Its 400 quid to overhaul a suction driven AH/DI. Garmin G5’s are running at what 3.5K fitted?

Last Edited by Bathman at 21 Dec 12:02

In many real-life scenarios there is no practical way to remove a vac AI. A search for KI256 reveals all

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Whenever discussion follows an accident like the one above, most flyers – myself included – nearly always automatically discuss getting an alternative instrument, rather than an alternative source.
In nearly all these accidents, the problem is usually a Vacuum source failure, rather than a particular Instrument failing.
Although for many owners it is the moment to think about instrument upgrade; often a far cheaper solution is to get an Alternative Vacuum Source like those produced by the firm Vacuum Source.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

I am flying almost exactly the same V tail as in the accident story. When I bought my Bonanza it had the same configuration. Since a couple of years now I have installed next to my EHSI an castleberry electric stby. I keep a ,post it, square paper block in the hand locker in case its required to cover up the main AI/FD. Yes the Bo is a slippery bird. Reducing power and gear down aircraft trimmed avoid major control inputs could have helped. Going partial panel like he did with a turn an bank requires to be on the top of your game! I may add this to have a full battery independent solution. I have a wet vacuum pump! When your A/P is coupled to it, I would immediately change the dry to a wet pump! Electronics fail too, so when you say changing the source it could be, change from dry to a wet pump!

Last Edited by Vref at 21 Dec 13:57
EBST
Sign in to add your message