Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Inadvertent flight into IMC conditions workshop

EASA is setting up a new General Aviation safety promotion portal under the headline Safety Together!

Kudos to EASA for whatever good may come out of this.

Part of it is a workshop coming up in March 2019 in Germany with selected pilots participating in simulator sessions and sharing their close call experiences.

Details and application form:
https://www.easa.europa.eu/newsroom-and-events/news/inadvertent-flight-imc-conditions

LGMG Megara, Greece

Did anything come out of this?

If it happened, did anyone here participate?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The same kind of training has been regularly offered in the Czech Republic for at least 6 years, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the trainer is the same. Here, it’s Jaroslav Slováček, a retired airline captain. He was my simulator instructor in the IR program and told me a bit about this training as well, showing some flight tracks from the ATC radars. According to him, Czech ATCOs now receive special training to help pilots in such situations, and apparently, the single most aggravating factor in this situation is when the aircraft has no artificial horizon installed. He showed me a flight track by an ATPL holder who strayed into IMC without an AI; it took him more than half an hour to get out even with ATC help, and upon getting on the ground, he swore not to fly any aircraft without an AI ever again.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

He showed me a flight track by an ATPL holder who strayed into IMC without an AI; it took him more than half an hour to get out even with ATC help, and upon getting on the ground, he swore not to fly any aircraft without an AI ever again.

I take it he had a T/C or T&B!?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Here’s one that turned up on the weekend. The ground makes an appearance shortly after 2:40.

London, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Did anything come out of this?

Basic IR ?

Ultranomad wrote:

He showed me a flight track by an ATPL holder who strayed into IMC without an AI; it took him more than half an hour to get out even with ATC help, and upon getting on the ground, he swore not to fly any aircraft without an AI ever again.

I take it he was not good on TC partial panel? or was he “no gyro” at all? for approach, I guess ATC can guide you to fly non-timed turn on compass if they are rated for “NO GYRO PAR approach” (military still do it as not many of them are “IFR equipped” aside from some DME and dodgy AI), although partial panel is tough near the ground unlike when done above MSA, but I imagine one can always find VMC by turning back?

AFAIK, surviving IMC with minimal instrumentation is very doable in gliders but not like the crew Qalupalik showed in the video, first, even god can’t fly the backside of the ridge IFR bellow MSA in windy days (sadly, no IR training can help with this, they just don’t teach this stuff in ATOs, maybe an ATPL holder who flies CAT in Columbia/Peru can help?), second, most of us will struggle if they end up low behind the ridge in windy days even in CAVOK, third, what’s the point of flying glider in IMC if you are not using air-breaks or rudder when speed is going through the roof ?

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Nov 10:41
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

This video is scary. Gave me chills.

Ibra wrote:

I take it he was not good on TC partial panel

He was excellent, obviously, and survived.

How can partial panel be trained with integrated avionics? Post it stickers?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Post-its, dimming the display, or pulling the AHRS and / or ADC and / or PFD breakers, with the caveat that pulling the ADC breaker usually results in the transponder losing altitude reporting capability. Pulling PFD breakers results in losing Nav1 / Com1 tuning ability*.

*applies to Garmin units.

T28
Switzerland

Qalupalik wrote:

Here’s one that turned up on the weekend. The ground makes an appearance shortly after 2:40.

Seen it, but didn’t pushed “play” until now. 3-4 years ago a guy here wasn’t that fortunate. He jumped, but a second or two too late. He was found dead close to the glider, the chute pulled, laying on the ground.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Snoopy wrote:

He was excellent, obviously, and survived.

Like many of us, as some point he was not looking to be saved, you have to get deep to ask for help

Snoopy wrote:

Dimming the display and post-it, I recall pulling CB during one revalidation did actually cause a manometer failure, and cancellation of the rest of the flight, and the aircraft grounded for 4 days (I was the guy flying next): the takeaway, if you plan to pull CBs worth keeping partial panel & unusual attitudes to the end of the lesson/exam…

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Nov 17:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message