Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Heathrow consultation

FYI, Heathrow launched its consultation site at https://afo.heathrowconsultation.com

Lots of documents published there so I have not gone through more than a few of them so far and it seems they are currently more focused on noise impact and abatement as a result of managing various combinations of independent parallel approaches and runway utilisation. Also, the documents cover the move to PBN-based departures and arrivals but it is unclear whether that would lead to a reduction in class A airspace (probably not).

I have not seen anything more specific that shows proposed tangible airspace changes though – the only thing I have found so far is a list of airspace design principles.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

I think they need to get their residents to agree what new paths aircraft should take before thinking of even updating controlled airspace boundaries or classifications.

The Class D Heathrow CTR remains large to the north because of Northolt, and to the south because of missed approach procedures.

Personally I’d like to see a huge conversion of Class A to Class B or C in future.

James_Chan wrote:

Personally I’d like to see a huge conversion of Class A to Class B or C in future.

Unfortunately the UK outlaws VFR in class C and B, so functionally it won’t make much difference to GA.

Andreas IOM

Where is this written? from https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Airspace/Rules-of-the-air/SERA-Implementation/ I would have thought that VFR is allowed in C

EERI EETU, Estonia

ivark wrote:

that VFR is allowed in C

In the UK, in theory yes, in practice few places where you can get in without hitting class A first and few ATC operators to help you getting in, as you still need a clearance
I am also assuming you have a “VFR aircraft” that does F195 and you are not instrument rated

The exception is made for few “VFR gliders” who get in for wave flying in few class C pockets (but this that is typically covered by some BGA/NATS letter of agreements regarding those TRA(G) zones)

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Jan 17:56
EGSX, United Kingdom

ivark wrote:

I would have thought that VFR is allowed in C

Of course the UK can’t “outlaw” VFR in classes B and C — but ATC may have a policy of not granting VFR clearances. Of course in that case I don’t see the point in having class B or C at all.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message