Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airplane accident close to San Sebastián - G-OARI

Open source, what apparent is a SEP departed from LPCS crashed near Hondarrabia. From the photos, the crash site is a mountain area covered by fog.

https://www.cmjornal.pt/mundo/detalhe/avioneta-que-partiu-de-cascais-despenha-se-no-pais-basco-em-espanha-ha-pelo-menos-um-morto?ref=HP_Destaque

LPSR, Portugal

Beautiful airport and surroundings, but of course challenging, due to terrain and frequent bad weather.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Looks like IMC, at the relevant time and not changing

so they probably flew into terrain in IMC.

It says G-OARI.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s GOARI in one picture and FR shows it over Spain today.

LPFR, Poland

The FR24 track is very short

Looks like he settled at 5500ft

Did he turn off Mode S, entering Spain?

Very few google pics, apart from the Cabair logo but Cabair went bust ages ago. Maybe it was based down there in recent years?

FR24 shows a later flight but it shows no track data for it, so perhaps just a very brief transponder contact on the same flight and a long time after the original transponder contact loss.

Administrator

I looked for photos of G-OARI on the internet and the tail colors are not the same.

Update, just saw a more recent photo that confirms the tail.

Last Edited by lmsl1967 at 09 Jan 18:19
LPSR, Portugal

Yes I noticed that too but all the pics I saw were old. The wreckage matches the pic in that news report (which comes from FR24)

There is no EXIF but looking at the photographer’s name and website the pic was likely taken in Portugal. He has taken loads of plane pics and all were taken in Portugal.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

so they probably flew into terrain in IMC

I thought someone said in here CFIT was a thing of the past with today’s GPS’s and I tend to agree.
It looks like this accident could prove us wrong and, in that case, we , in GA, are doing something very wrong as a community.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

CFIT is alive and well, but the circumstances tend to be more obscure nowadays than somebody flying at night or IMC and flies into a hill because of a nav error.

It tends to be VFR pilots flying in IMC and not having a decent terrain map, and IFR pilots cancelling IFR and doing the same. One example of the latter was this which was a good friend of mine; in that case I am pretty sure he misread the “6500” on the SIA chart as being the MSA. Some IR holders fly VFR if over 2000kg (in IMC as necessary) and again they mostly don’t have proper terrain data in front of them.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Did he turn off Mode S, entering Spain?

Having a track that vanishes in the border between Portugal and Spain is very common in FR.

FR uses two methods of tracking an airplane. The ‘direct’ one makes use of Mode S ‘extended squitters (ES)’, which is the used in Europe for ADS-B implementation. The usual transponders found in a Piper do not implement ES functionality. Really few transponders installed in the GA fleet do have ES.
Then we are left with the ‘indirect method’ which is to triangulate the xpdr signal. For this to happen, obviously the xpdr signal must be received by several receivers at the same time. In Spain, the coverage of FR receivers is really sparse and, to make things worse, the topography of the country reduces the receiving range. So this is the explanation of why you can see almost no GA traffic over Spain in FR.

LECU - Madrid, Spain
97 Posts
Sign in to add your message