Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airplane accident close to San Sebastián - G-OARI

@Noe looks like somone is using skydemon to avoid cliffs/hills in the Alps? (While on skis)

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Jan 17:34
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

This is a photo from a tweet apparently made during the flight. It shows an alternator failure.

The ALT warning light is on and the ammeter shows zero. (On PA28s the ammeter shows alternator current.)

In perfect flying weather. Did they not notice that ?? Press on with a dead alternator into IMC?? Weird.

I’ll agree with Peter that SkyDemon might not be precise enough: had to look “outside” and not at phone to avoid these rocks

This is a photo from a tweet apparently made during the flight. It shows an alternator failure.
The ALT warning light is on and the ammeter shows zero. (On PA28s the ammeter shows alternator current.)

@Airborne
Correct.
However this picture was taken shortly after T/O. Actual position is 54 NM southwest of FTM VOR with still +/- 430 NM to go.
No way the battery would have lasted that long with all avionics turned on.

For me it is more likely that they started the engine on BAT only and forgot to turn on the alternator.

Last Edited by cessnatraveller at 12 Jan 18:30

That’s why the ALT switch is clearly on and the ammeter saying zero?

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

cessnatraveller wrote:

For me it is more likely that they started the engine on BAT only and forgot to turn on the alternator.

The alternator switch is ON in the photo. I agree that it is very unlikely that they would press on for several hours — the battery would have run flat long before the accident. Perhaps more likely that they managed to reset the alternator only to have it fail again later.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Sorry, I missed the fact that the ALT switch is selected ON on the foto.

If the would have continued knowing that they have a problem with the alternator I would be very surprised to say the least.
And why post such an incriminating picture on Instagram? May be they had not realized yet?

I have just heard that one of the two who died in this crash was David Hocking, a well known GA maintenance company owner. I met him once when he ran a business at Deanland (a grass strip in Sussex). He would have known “tech stuff” about planes. Who was the pilot I have no idea.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And all avionics on.. did they not notice?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46820519

The BBC have named the 2 people on board.

EGLK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message