Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PA46 Malibu N264DB missing in the English Channel

Hmm still there when I click it. The exact quote is: “Air Control of the island of Guernsey confirms the pilot requested emergency landing at 20:30h Local.”

EGSX

It’s natural in tragic circumstances like this to recall previous accidents by similar aircrafts and conclude they are particularly prone to mishaps.

Both cases you mentionned, Mooney Driver, have been explained by pilot error. The Mainau one was an attempt to get below a layer in a tight spiral through a small hole, followed by a sharp pull up to try to stop the descent. The Geneva one was a pilot who by several accounts was very new to the plane and not ready to launch into the conditions which proved fatal to him. Icing might have been a contributing factor in the latter of it added distractions, but in the turbine versions of the PA46 with their climb power, ice is quite manageable. In the piston it can be much more problematic as climb performance in the 20k feet range in the presence of ice is not good enough to confidently climb out of icing conditions (which is more a problem in summer than in winter).

In all versions, you must follow the POH (including going to alternate air on the pistons and activating the deice door in the Jetprop, the Meridian being the simplest from that point of view).

EGTF, LFTF

I’ve deleted the posts which (starting with mine) mentioned the name of the pilot but it turns out he wasn’t in the aircraft.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

in German news it says Sala sent messages, he was scared „the plane could be falling apart“….. Horror
Audio whatsapp https://www.clarin.com/deportes/futbol/audio-emiliano-sala-arriba-avioneta-desaparecida-miedo_0_4nQyKeSPl.html

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 23 Jan 07:10
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Yes, here too

‘This plane seems like it is falling to pieces… They need to send someone to find me’

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Very sad, a talented young footballer.

The recording doesn’t sound obviously Argentinean so wouldn’t necessarily trust it as genuine.

Although a more authentic sounding version is posted in Argentina.

https://www.infobae.com/america/deportes/2019/01/22/el-audio-que-emiliano-sala-le-envio-a-sus-amigos-desde-adentro-del-avion-parece-que-se-esta-por-caer-a-pedazos/

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 23 Jan 07:15
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Interesting changes in engine noise in the background, sounds like power settings are changed quite a bit. Is there no FR24 track?

A French source close to the player said the six-seater plane only got airborne for the return trip after at least three failed attempts to take off from Nantes.

Fromthe WhatsApp message audio, background noise sounds like a piston engine.

LFLY, France

the plane could be falling apart

To me this sounds like they were experiencing prop ice, and might had an issue with prop de-ice.
Hearing the engine power changes might be the pilot trying to “throw” the ice away using rpm changes.

A lot of ice related accidents has been caused by prop de-ice malfunctioning or timer not cycling properly, leading to extreme vibrations.
So engine power is pulled back, and there is only one way you can head. Down.

Remember reading a story about a pilot experiencing so bad ice vibrations he couldn’t even read his instruments. He was only able to stay aloft by finding a power setting that kept him above stalling speed. Add airframe icing you probably wouldn’t be able to stay aloft at all.

spirit49
LOIH
Sign in to add your message