Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying and icing (no boots & tks)

I once departed VFR flat land with an IFR transition with 3 degrees OAT entered IMC at 2000Ft started picking op ice not too much but still..At 6000 Ft prop started light vibrating came on top at 9000 Ft to cross some mountains. I estimated to be on top at 6000 Ft looking at IR radar..these 2500 ft remaining were long very long. It’s nerve wrecking and I was always prepared to put the nose down gain speed and turn back. The air was milky and no real solid cloud a bit layerd I would say. Not having a hot prop significantly impairs any option to climb. It’s simple when you can’t descent safely in hotter air don’t even try…In the dark no way. Reading the Malibu story…low altitude, ice, boots only, sea,night…to many items ticked for a safe go decision in SEP… for my personal minima

EBST

AeroPlus wrote:

If the temperature on the ground is near zero, there are not many options left unless you have a FIKI certified aircraft and indeed ideally with lots of power.

Given the weather right now in south Germany (T in minus), would one advise not to go flying at all?

EDMB, Germany

Arun wrote:

would one advise not to go flying at all?

I think you need T minus and in cloud/rain, a bit of dew temp/relative humidity, these come typically with frontal weather…

If it is clear sky, sunny day with big static ridge sitting on top just go for it? (probably the right day to get a feel of the stick while flying at MTOW)

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Jan 10:56
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

AeroPlus wrote:

If the temperature on the ground is near zero, there are not many options left unless you have a FIKI certified aircraft and indeed ideally with lots of power.

I find the “no-go” call much easier to make when ground temperature is zero and fronts sitting around, especially with low cloud-base (say overcast cloudbase at 1000ft and warm/cold extending to FL200/FL80), as you go to the aircraft in open air it feels harsh on your skin to let you change your mind without looking at any chart…

The tricky go/no, is when freezing level is at 4000ft-3000ft then it is a matter of clear sky or big holes on cross-country or overcast + local flights, at least for my flying as of now

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Jan 11:10

It is this weather element which makes (IFR) flying of such interest. Do you go? Or stay at home? What are my options? It depends on your capabilities in combination with your aircraft and how it is equipped and summed up with the actual and forecasted weather. Flying a FIKI aircraft, there are not that many days I would have to postpone the flight or stay at home, but with a non-deiced aircraft and temps at the ground close to freezing, the opportunities are certainly not that many. You always need a way out of the shit one way or the other, so if you cannot descend to warm temperatures and the weather is murky, then better to stay on the ground, isn’t it?

EDLE, Netherlands

Snoopy wrote:

If you start picking up ice in IMC climbing will be anywhere from counter productive to impossible.

Agree with Snoppy, unless you are on turboprop!
My only one and unforgettable experience in icing conditions, it was when IMC in milky stratus went into not known embedded CB.
The airplane was a C172, 2000ft level. In less than 1 minute we’ve got about 4cm ice on the leading edge. Full power but the AC was descending 700ft /min with carb heat on. Since we just left the CTA and not far from it, we changed the course to the inbound reporting point, called the tower declared the icing conditions but still descending bellow the minimum for the reporting point, got permission to go down to 700ft, when the ice was starting to melt and the plane with full power was stabizing in flight level. After landing on the parking place we measured the ice what was left…aroud 1.5 cm.

Scarry how the wing aerodinamic change, how fast can go !

ES?? - Sweden

Thunderstorm18 wrote:

My only one and unforgettable experience in icing conditions, it was when IMC in milky stratus went into not known embedded CB.
The airplane was a C172, 2000ft level. In less than 1 minute we’ve got about 4cm ice on the leading edge.

Was that on a local A2A flight orgoing A to B?

Ibra wrote:

Was that on a local A2A flight orgoing A to B?

A2A planning to do entries and holding training on 2000ft lower than the official holding altitude (4000 ft).

ES?? - Sweden

Thanks for sharing, an A2A training is something you can call off easily with a clear escape route, unless you were planing for long holds (at least you had a good excuse not orbiting for ages, very handy: you are 1st but still ATC assign you hold at the highest level in IMC )

Thunderstorm18 wrote:

Scarry how the wing aerodinamic change, how fast can go !
I have picked up ice only once during IFR training, during an approach with an Arrow II. Strangely nothing on the way up despite visible moisture and below zero. We noticed ice from the ice chunks hitting the windshield from the prop. Wings were fairly clean, maybe 3-5mm. Next week, similar overall weather but another student, they picked 2cm and landed with almost full power.
ESMK, Sweden
Sign in to add your message