Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another crash - Helicopter I-EDIC vs Jodel F-PMGV in Italy

@africaneagle might know.

We have many other pilots on EuroGA who are based in Italy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is perhaps unwise to comment about this case, or about alpine glacier flying generally, while there is some possibility of an appeal or other legal proceedings.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

This reminds me of the case in Italy where some geologists were sentenced for not predicting an earthquake. IIRC they were aquitted on appeal.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

…or the hospital flight that asked for a visual approach and crashed in a mountain. The atco was prosecuted.
…or the Tunisair Captain that survived a ditching because somebody put ATR42 fuel sensors in an ATR72.

Italy has a problem.

EBST, Belgium

Certain other “southern” countries have similar problems

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Southern in the sense of south of the UK? Almost all of them now do.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Before we complain about the inabilities of the Italian legal system: Does anyone know what has been the basis for that sentence?

The preliminary report cited earlier in this thread states that the Jodel was on a “training for mountain rating” flight". Would be “quite unusual” if the FI on a training flight sits in the rear seat ….

Germany

Peter wrote:

All countries have similar problems, as soon as prosecutor are not free of politics or money… I wouldn’t be too specific with Italy.

LFMD, France

That’s exactly what I was getting at. It isn’t just Italy.

Administrator

Malibuflyer wrote:

Does anyone know what has been the basis for that sentence?

https://aostasera.it/notizie/cronaca/tragedia-del-rutor-condanna-a-6-anni-e-8-mesi-per-il-pilota-francese/

According to this press report (and Google Translate) the base for the sentence is multiple aggravated manslaughter.

If I understand correctly, the sentence is also not suspended but final. Which means the 65 year old former Air France Airline Pilot will not leave prison before the age of about 70 (calculating how long he has been in prison so far). Furthermore, the judge has ordered the license of the pilot to be suspended for 5 years (has an Italien Judge actually got the competence to order the French DGAC to suspend a pilots license?) and ordered a civil compensation of 5 Million 150k Euros to be paid by the said pilot.

Additionally, the judge has ordered the prosecutor to find out if the president of the aeroclub which owned the Jodel could be indicted and made to pay for damages (Note: They personally want to sue the president of the club, not the club itself).

All this has happened before even the report by the italian TSB has been released, even though according to Annex 13, that rapport should not be used as proof by a court.

I suppose the court made it’s opinion about flying without flightplans and radio in such an area MASSIVELY clear and also appears to be going after the aeroclub which tolerated such behaviour as discussed in earlier posts. The question where the instructor actually was seated is still one of the very interesting points.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 03 Feb 11:43
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message