Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DA62 across the Atlantic VLOG

Nothing out the ordinary of course, and of course a marketing video by Diamond, but I thought it might be interesting to share. The next episodes will come soon.

• always nice to be reminded how wonderful Sonderborg airfield is
  • flying for hours at FL120 without getting oxygen makes me feel terrible. Wonder why they chose that altitude on the leg to Sonderborg..
  • in fact, it still strikes me why did pressurize this plane. Seems so hard to engineer/certify nowadays. That plane is almost 1.5 million and it doesn’t seem right to not have a pressurized cabin
  • always interesting to see real-life data: 186 knots @ 18.6 GPH at FL120, so call that 180 knots at FL100.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 04 Feb 18:45
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

So funny they are fighting to pronounce Skrydstrup approach I flew several times in that area of Denmark (flying to near by Kolding) and was never been able to pronounce it correctly

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Agreed on the pressurization. I think it’s a huge blunder at that price point, to not go for that. If I sat on $1.5mill, I would buy something else.

AdamFrisch wrote:

If I sat on $1.5mill, I would buy something else.

That money qualifies one for TBM candidate

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Are the vortex generators a problem in icing conditions?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter_Mundy wrote:

I don’t have much experience with DA62 (just few flights) but I saw pictures of iced vortex generators.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Presumably they get flooded in TKS fluid

That money qualifies one for TBM candidate

Very much so. And a TBM will massively outclass a DA62.

The problem with the TBM is

• very expensive to maintain unless you run your own operation under Part 91 (much discussed previously)
  • cost per mile is about 2x higher
  • higher “pilot paperwork collection workload”: the TBM needs HPA in Euro-land

But 1.5M € plus VAT, I assume will get you a good TBM700C2.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But 1.5M € plus VAT, I assume will get you a good TBM700C2.

I checked few recently – feasible, you can even get some TBM850.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter_Mundy wrote:

Probably more problematic for icing on the ground but not for inflight as they sit low vs boundary layer thickness

https://www.avweb.com/news/reviews/182564-1.html

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Feb 16:41
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I’ve never had any problems with VGs and icing on the DA62. The only problem I’ve had is antennae falling off due to ice.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message