Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DA62 across the Atlantic VLOG

I just watched parts of this vlog series and am curious: would you consider these videos good marketing for diamond?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

I just watched parts of this vlog series and am curious: would you consider these videos good marketing for diamond?

Yes :)

EBMO, EBKT

Interesting flying in between those CBs at FL100 on the latest video – presumably they are very weak at that latitude. I always thought the peaks of a CB are normally FL150+

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Some really good survival snippets in there. Notably:

Recording the position of ships on the GPS.
Long tethers attached to their lifejackets.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Dave_Phillips wrote:

Recording the position of ships on the GPS.

I used to do that too.
But he also take into account estimated speed and heading. That’s smart !!

@Dave_Phillips wrote:

Long tethers attached to their lifejackets.

I didn’t understand the aim ?

Yes I like it too
Entertainment, but they are doing it very well and the films are in very good quality
This year I want to do Wick-Island as well

Sebastian S.
EDAZ, Germany

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

I didn’t understand the aim ?

To strap yourselves together and/or to the liferaft.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

presumably they are very weak at that latitude.

Not in my experience. Some of the worst turbulence I have been in was in Iceland. Convective plus terrain effects.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Not in my experience. Some of the worst turbulence I have been in was in Iceland. Convective plus terrain effects.

Fair enough! They didn’t seem to have any bad experiences with them. But what I was saying was, that’s a very weak CB. Normally they are FL150+ and at least FL350 in the Summer. I’ve flown out of Houston and had one up to FL670. Absolute monsters.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

I’ve flown out of Houston and had one up to FL670. Absolute monsters.

I guess that kind of extreme weather is well localized and should be easy to spot and avoid? how long it persisted and how wide its area?

You will have more chance of getting severe turbulence even in weak CBs: as they are wide you have more chance of getting into them?

I would not consider FL200 CB as “weak” for any aircraft, that height is roughly 600mb static pressure and approximately converted to 200kts dynamic pressure (enough to get any aircraft exceeding its VNE from cruise speed), tough few have flown them and survived to tell about what happened https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/j.1477-8696.1955.tb00220.x

But it should be ok to get into 5000ft CBs on gliders or C172 at stall speeds…

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Feb 14:01
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message