Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 414A suffers in flight breakup over California residential area

A Cessna 414A, registration N414RS, has crashed following an apparent in flight break up in a residential area in Orange County, California

The airplane came down in Yorba Linda in pieces. The pilot as well as 4 residents of one of the damaged houses were killed.

The fusellage crashed into someone’s back yard. The wings and engines came down about a block away and set fire to one house in which 4 residents lost their lifes. Several other houses got partly severely damaged by falling debris including engines and propellers.

Video footage show the airplane in a dive without significant parts of the structure.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1092205308338876416

further information on ASN
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=221520

I think this accident may well be significant due to the fact that the airplane broke up in the air.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I think this accident may well be significant due to the fact that the airplane broke up in the air.

I think that the significance of multiple fatalities of uninvolved people on the ground will be even greater (cf Shoreham.)

It is awful to see the bulk of the aircraft going one way and a flaming debris trail going the other. I am imagining an engine disintegration shaking the engine off the wing. I once had a detached cylinder on the Aztec and the vibration was massive (I was concerned about detachment.)

EGKB Biggin Hill

Indeed. These recent incidents where innocent third parties are dying may well have significant implications for GA.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

These recent incidents where innocent third parties are dying

I think that it is really important to use the word “uninvolved”, not “innocent”.

I daresay this poor pilot was innocent, as was Emiliano Sala, as are the crowds at an airshow. It is not their innocence, but their implied consent (by being there) which is the issue.

Some poor lady doing her washing up in her own kitchen, or a lad cycling on the A27, are not only truly innocent, but also have given no consent to the risk whatsoever.

EGKB Biggin Hill

JasonC wrote:

These recent incidents where innocent third parties are dying may well have significant implications for GA.

Unlikely. It’s not the first time it’s happened, and it won’t be the last. I forecast no new regulations nor consequences for GA in general following this crash. The only likely implication for GA will be a potential airworthiness directive for the Cessna 414 if it turns out that the aircraft went down due to a mechanical failure.

Andreas IOM

Not that accident in itself but along with Sala et al.

GA being in the TV headline news tends never to help the regulatory process.

EGTK Oxford

Every time high-profile accidents like this occur, there is talk of impending doom for GA. It has been that way for years. So far it has not materialised.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I think that there is an increasing unwillingness of people to just “suck it up”.

Historically people have accepted the way things are and stoically and reluctantly just got on with it. Now people realise that they can express a will.

Think of #MeToo, and the so-called Snowflake generation, among many other examples.

People may well demand higher standards from light aircraft, to prevent them dropping on their heads. After all, think what the US public accepts, in some case encourages, in the face of the almost non-existent risk of international terrorism.

EGKB Biggin Hill

The Dutch news app Nu.nl only writes about general aviation when there has been an accident, an emergency landing with a Cessna on a highway or the like, so the general population this way gets a negative picture of what general aviation is all about.

EDLE, Netherlands

It may well affect the flight sharing sphere, some aspects of which are pretty close to “charter” anyway.

The job involving the footballer smells worse with every hour that goes by, but that has happened many times in the past, especially in the bizjet scene where high net worth passengers are routinely carried (Biggin??).

This crash is really unusual, with what looks like a low level in-flight breakup.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
41 Posts
Sign in to add your message