Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Courchevel LFLJ PA46 F-GUYZ crash - slight injuries only

Not everybody makes the touch down on the first (bottom) horizontal looking (it is not horizontal) stretch, but then touch down on the upslope. Here it looks like he only touched down on the top, which indeed is way too far up.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 08 Feb 21:53
EDLE, Netherlands

Not everybody makes the touch down on the first (bottom) horizontal looking (it is not horizontal) stretch, but then touch down on the upslope.

I watched the old Typrolan Dash videos and even those guys did touch down in the upslope part. Actually I think it is not bad as the consequences of coming too short would be much worse than this accident could ever be. I also saw videos of PC12 coming in very shallow on the flat (12%) part but if there is any downdraft or similar that might not work out well.

Why would you land with excess airspeed? Is it just because they are worried about getting up the hill?

They did teach me to add 1kt for every 2% of uphill slope. So as the first part of the runway is about 12%, that makes it +6kt. Mostly this was meant to keep the speed up when going into the uphill flare. But on a bigger plane I would not combine that with the “leave the throttle in all the way” thing as I assume on is getting too fast.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Agreed he touched down too late. The first part is where one should aim and the second part slows the plane down very efficiently. I was trained to fly handbook apch speed, not more. I was also surprised not to hear reverse, but now realised it’s a piston plane.

Last Edited by loco at 08 Feb 22:48
LPFR, Poland

I don’t see why you can’t just add power after touch if your GA aircraft can deliver a 700ft/min climb?

Sebastian_G wrote:

They did teach me to add 1kt for every 2% of uphill slope.

Assuming you flare to touch at some point up hill, if you aim on the top you should fly at normal speed?
Down hill speed probably should go down -1kts for every -2%?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Assume that will be a trashed prop, engine inspection but hopefully airframe will be ok. If wings were stressed then it would be a write off.

EGTK Oxford

They squize on of the main landing gear of a PC-12 two or three winters ago coming shallow

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Amazing Typical example of what happens when trying to save a poor approach on a short and slippery runway.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

JasonC wrote:

Why would you land with excess airspeed?

Only because you have to flare in the slope ; after that, you adjust power to reach the top of the hill at speed = zero.
Michel
LFLG - Grenoble le Versoud, France

It’s quite hard to detect too bad conditions (speed and altitude) and go-around in case you have too much energy. It seems the case here as it touched down middle of the runway with too much energy.

LFMD, France

LeSving wrote:
Amazing Typical example of what happens when trying to save a poor approach on a short and slippery runway.

Agreed, but bear in mind for this runway, they teach (or at least used to) that your decision to bin it, has to be quite soon after turning final. .
Much after that, is to be considered committed.

I always wondered (only wondered) that with a fairly powerful/ sporty a/c, maybe much later on final, you may be able to make a sharp turn down the valley while adding power and initiating a shallow climb.
The training is all about that landing picture.
By the time you’re sure it’s not correct you’re probably committed and have to deal with it the best you can. Especially in something like a 46.

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message