Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Italian pilot with French licence on Italian radio

Rwy20 wrote:

I think the EASA language proficiency farce was indeed introduced in 2011.

I was referring to being resident in France or having a French passport in order to get a French LP endorsed on a DGAC PPL (or old Brevet de Base), I don’t think that was the case in 2010/2011, one just get it automatically, but I am not sure what one need today to get French LP in France….

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Feb 10:36
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I was referring to being resident in France or having a French passport in order to get a French LP endorsed on a DGAC PPL (or old Brevet de Base), I don’t think that was the case in 2010/2011, one just get it automatically

Some DSAC’s also automatically awarded it in 2012 if you had done your training in France, but not the DSAC Nord-Est.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 13 Feb 11:14

Seba wrote:

I think I can safely conclude that if I learn the Italian phraseology I shouldn’t incur in any problem

Trouble yourself no further. This new phonetic alphabet will keep you guarded.

A Affirmative N New
B Bearing O One
C Czar P Ptomaine
D Disregard Q Question
E Emergency R Repeat
F Fire S Say-again
G Gnu T Tsunami
H Hijack U Unsafe
I Iago V Violation
J Jalapeño W Weather
K Knew X Xerox
L Llanelli Y Ypres
M Mnemonic Z Zero
Last Edited by Qalupalik at 13 Feb 14:22
London, United Kingdom

I don’t think the DGAC/DSAC checks language proficiency : this is done in the PPL test (?). It will be obvious to the examiner if Strasbourg Sol can’t understand you

I didn’t have any problems with the BB in 2007 and PPL in 2008, but this was a long time ago. Maybe make sure you use a French address for anything official.

P.S. Welcome Seba!

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

I don’t think the DGAC/DSAC checks language proficiency : this is done in the PPL test (?). It will be obvious to the examiner if Strasbourg Sol can’t understand you

I didn’t have any problems with the BB in 2007 and PPL in 2008, but this was a long time ago. Maybe make sure you use a French address for anything official.

P.S. Welcome Seba!

Thanks for the suggestion. Funny enough, my bureaucratic position is even more complicated. I work (and pay taxes) in France but I live in Germany (just a few meters on the other side of the Rhine). We will see what they will think about it.

LFST, France

“It will be obvious to the examiner if Strasbourg Sol can’t understand you”

You mean Strasburg ATC are not able to understand French? that could be the case ;)

I am planing to fly to Wales this weekend, time to get some Cymraeg RT practice !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

“It will be obvious to the examiner if Strasbourg Sol can’t understand you”

You mean Strasburg ATC are not able to understand French? that could be the case ;)

I am planing to fly to Wales this weekend, time to get some Cymraeg RT practice !

Sometimes I monitor LFST GND and TWR for fun on liveatc, while I’m at work, (not much traffic so they don’t really disturb me).
I do hear some funny exchanges more often than not. :D

LFST, France

Hi Seba,

My 2 Cents on European PPL: I got my licence in France with a French LP level 6. Several Years later I moved to Germany and after a pause I chose to transcribe my licence to a German PPL. I kept my French LP level 6, had however to add English LP level 4 to it.
As for German LP, I had the possibility to add it at level 6 if I declared myself as motherspeaker (there seems to be no exam for that).
Finally I didn’t had to add German as I already have the BZF I for Germany but maybe there is a similar self declaration to validate one’s mother tongue LP in Italy.
Best regards
Valtime

EDMG, Germany

It took me several years, and several applications, to get level 6 English on my UK PPL. Without my knowledge, I had no language proficiency at all on the UK CAA record. I only found out when checking before converting to an EASA PPL. One application was returned a year later with the note that they have not received my licence application form, although I’d held the licence for over 20 years. I eventually got it in early 2018.
English is my native language.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Under EASA rules, if you have ELP on your licence, that’s all you need. You can use radiotelephony in any language used by the ground station: French in France, southern Belgium (some airfields) and western Switzerland, Italian in Italy, German in Germany and Austria, etc.

France used to understand things differently, and require a French LP in the licence, but I’ve heard they stopped it now. Rumour has it “someone” told them to cut it. Back when France was still requiring it (or they weren’t, but the fear of that hadn’t died down yet), as a Luxembourg PPL, I swore on my own honour that I’m a native French speaker in a written letter to the right person at DSAC Nord-Est. I got back a letter “valid only in France” allowing me to use French on the radio for life. A year or two later, the Luxembourg CAA inscribed a level 6 French LP in my licence on basis of that letter.

ELLX
Sign in to add your message