Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Italian pilot with French licence on Italian radio

Thanks all for the many replies. I think I can safely conclude that if I learn the Italian phraseology I shouldn’t incur in any problem by speaking Italian in Italy, even while holding a French PPL.

I am now curious about your point @Rwy20 : will I really not get the French LP because I don’t have a French passport? As far as I know, there are other Italians who got the PPL at LFST and the instructor didn’t mention any issue with that for them. I will ask specifically next time.

LFST, France

Maybe the DSAC Nord-Est hast come to their senses since 2012, I don’t know. At the time, I solved the issue by providing them some additional information for their “étude du dossier” so they could issue me my French LP based on that.

Would have been a bummer putting in all that effort to do a PPL in France and then not even be allowed to use the radio afterwards… which was still very much OK during training and the related solo flights, but as soon as I had my PPL it would not have been legal without French LP. Sometimes, bureaucracy can produce pretty absurd situations.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 13 Feb 09:57

Alright, I will maybe send them an email and hope for a response before I finish the PPL :D
Given that I just started and I will mostly fly on weekends I have about a 50% chance.

LFST, France

Rwy20 wrote:

What is this “French English Language Proficiency” or “Italian English Language Proficiency” you are all writing about? Is it the capability to speak and understand English with a French/Italian accent?

I was sure someone will make this correction, I am waiting for the next guy to say it should be called LPP rather than PPL in France

Rwy20 wrote:

you could always argue in front of a court that by being a native speaker, you have sufficient language proficiency in your mother tongue.

Again that odes not work for English LP, but should be ok for anything else

You should be able hear/transmit on airbands as long as you can keep annoyance level acceptable, this has been debated for ages with pilots/radio amateurs: having RT scanners to listen to CAT flights, near airports, international airshows, calling on RT transmitters without license/endorsement (e.g. gliders/FR only)….all of this can be technically illegal from the privacy point of view but even for that you get away from it in front of the court if you keep it for yourself

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Or just wait until you send in the application and see what happens. They came back to me with a letter. And you have a temporary certificate during that period that allows you to fly in France for 4 weeks (IIRC), so enough time to sort it out then.

“Let sleeping dogs lie” if that is not too disrespectful in this context.

Seba wrote:

I am now curious about your point @Rwy20 : will I really not get the French LP because I don’t have a French passport? As far as I know, there are other Italians who got the PPL at LFST and the instructor didn’t mention any issue with that for them. I will ask specifically next time.

AFAIK that was not a requirement in 2010

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Rwy20 wrote:

“Let sleeping dogs lie” if that is not too disrespectful in this context.

Right, right, I forgot this fundamental principle. Crucial when dealing with bureaucracy, everywhere in Europe to be honest (I tried 5 countries so far, at various latitudes, all the same).

Last Edited by Seba at 13 Feb 10:11
LFST, France

Ibra wrote:

AFAIK that was not a requirement in 2010

I think the EASA language proficiency farce was indeed introduced in 2011.

Rwy20 wrote:

I think the EASA language proficiency farce was indeed introduced in 2011.

It is an ICAO requirement, not an EASA requirement. (Or does “farce” refer to something else?)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

And it was introduced in 2008, I know, I took what was then called FCL0.28 (became FCL0.55, inflation I guess) in 2008 a couple of months after it was introduced in France for English.

ENVA, Norway
Sign in to add your message